breastfeeding, birth control, antibiotic, cramping.. adult content

I am breastfeeding,(baby is 4 months) on the minipill, and haven't started my period yet. I've been cramping for the past week and am nervous I am pregnant again. Sunday I finished up an antibiotic. My doctor told me I didn't need to use back up since I was still breastfeeding because the mini pill and nursing alone is like double birth control. But with both pregnancies I had cramping immediately. I've also all of a sudden been having alot of discharge which I haven't had hardly any the past few months so I have NO clue what that could mean. I took a test two days ago just because I was at the end of my pack of bc and always do at the end of the month. But I'm not sure if I should take another test or when since I don't have a period yet! Please give my our thoughts.
Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I would test.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would wait a week and test. It could just be that you are gearing up for a period or having a little pain with ovulation ( I think you do ovulate on the mini-pill). My period always returns at around 3 or 4 months, so I know pregnancy is possible. Good luck.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 12:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Ick. Breastfeeding is not a valid form of birth control. It is true that some women dont start ovulating right away while breastfeeding...but every body is different. Also, antibiotics can leave birth controls inneffective. So definatly test. Good luck!
    julionna_lion

Answer by julionna_lion at 12:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• First breastfeeding is not birth control. Second some antibiotics can void the protection given from birth control pills. Third cramping while breastfeeding is normal. Missing a period is also normal if breastfeeding. Mine did not come back until my baby was 18 months old. If you've had sex and think you might be pregnant I would definitely test in another week or so.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2010