Are we still teaching our kids that being smart is bad?

I've seen it happen here, where someone starts insulting people for using words they don't understand or saying things they don't know about, but there's another site I visit where it got really ugly the past few days.

The website made a few changes. The tech savvy people immediately understood that changes=bugs and it would be down for a while, and that they could give feedback to get things fixed. The less tech savvy people lost their damn minds, started threatening to leave, etc etc. Then, when people who understood what was going on started to explain, the ones who were confused started attacking them instead, accusing them of "thinking they're so smart" or "acting like they know so much." Is this still how we raise people? Are we still setting up a kind of knowledge based class warfare where you attack those who know more rather than learn from them? Most of those attacks are from parents of young kids.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think it is a reflection on society NOW. These comments have been being made by stupid people everywhere for a long time. My biological father used to say this to my mother frequently and this was well over 30 years ago.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Never did that! I taught my kids to strive to be the best always! and take pride in anything related to them.

Answer by older at 12:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have learning isuues and fight hard for everything I learn and people who know more are not a threat to me and I teach my sons learning comes from anywhere. Sometimes people who know things are arrogant and make fun of people who don't know so i tack it up to some of us are street smart and some of us book smart and some of us are smart in so many ways day by day I meet people who teach me things no matter how little they are. Learning comes from everywhere.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Everyone I know,including my kids and grandkids, want to be smart and educated and well-spoken.
    I do see the anti-edcation attitude here all the time,though. Anyone who thinks we don't need to learn is making a big mistake.
    If I make an error in grammar or spelling,etc, and someone corrects me,I am glad, because I don't want to look like I quit school in 6th grade. LOL. That was being sarcastic,but you know what I mean.
    People are afraid of change and when there is something they don't catch on to right away,they panic and insist that they don't need to know...that people who DO know are "smarty pants" and snobby. Or even worse, that college is only for the "elite". Hehe.
    I HOPE nobody is teaching their kids that being smart is bad. We never stop learning...hopefully.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Ha i haven't scene that-
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Never did that! I taught my kids to strive to be the best always! and take pride in anything related to them. Besides that i have a Masters Degree so i want them to meet me there lol i want them to be the best at what they do and that is not an option ... In spite of what others think.. We have two amazing daughters and they know we are very proud of them.. Our 20 year old daughter is a senior in college and our 18 year old daughter is a sophmore in college .
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 12:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I never did that. If you have a good level of general knowledge you should be proud of it. I teach my daughter to learn from people who know more. Even though she's 5, I like to use words she doesn't know yet so she can ask me what they mean. And she does.
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 1:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Me personally.

I see it. In our society as a whole, being educated &/or intelligent (the two do not always go hand & hand) is seen in a negative light. Even politicians make "intellectual" sound like a bad thing during their campaigns (those elite intellectuals just don't understand us everyday main street Americans................... sound familiar). Our society in many areas glorifies and encourages ingnorance and stupidity (check out what the top rated tv shows are sometimes, or what is 'big" in pop culture..) But we do not encourage intelligence on the same broad scale. Ask someone who Sookie or the lastest "Teen Mom" is, then ask them who Noam Chomsky is or Stephen Hawking.

Education standards have steadily been dropping for the last good 30 years. Our education levels and standards are below most other industrialized nattions/world leading countries in many areas.

I do see what you are talking about NP
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My son is being taught that education and being smart is always a good thing. Both his parents are highly educated so he is learning from example.")
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2010