Why was my baby drooling?

Hi Moms! I am a new mom of a 12 week old boy and he started drooling today. I know he is too young to start cutting teeth and he isn't even on solid food or anything. He had been fed and changed and when I got him out of his car seat when we got home, he had drool coming out of the side of his mouth.

Just strange...
Thanks for the help.

sukinova

Asked by sukinova at 8:48 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• babies can cut teeth that early. there are quiet a few that have a tooth or two before they start eatting solids or even cereal! he may not actually have a tooth popping out, but he could be starting to cut teeth. My baby has been drooling since he was 2 mnths and jsut recently hes been drooling like crazy (never thought more was possible but he proved me wrong) and nawling on his hands like crazy, they are close to comming through nad he's almost 4 months
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 8:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• LOL thats cute. all kids drool. its normal. the older he gets the more there will be. in fact he might play with it by blowing bubbles and spitting..just put a bib on him. it will be ok
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Um, he's a baby. Babies drool.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, babies drool for lots of reasons... no reason to be concerned.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 9:03 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• thats what babies do....and he could be teething.
    Anonymous

• drool is also to help aid in the development of the digestive system.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for the information. Those of you who were sincere really helped.
    sukinova

Answer by sukinova at 10:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my DD drools all the time. i've picked her up out of her crib in the morning and her feet have been wet where she's laid in there playing with her feet. i think the spit bubbles and drool are cute, and i see it as her practicing her mouth muscles. she also constantly chews on her hands, my hands, our clothes, blankets..pretty much anything she can get in her mouth. she doesn't take a paci and i think that's part of the reason she chews on everything and drools. just take lots of pics of the drool running down his chin and you'll have something to blackmail him with when he's older and wanting to bring a g/f home.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I cut my first tooth at four months. It is possible the baby has started teething already but probably won't cut a tooth for a few more weeks. This is how it always started with my babies.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 10:15 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I take plenty of pictures and you are right... they will be good for that.
    thank you for the advice ladies.
    sukinova

Answer by sukinova at 12:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2008