Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

how does child custody work when the parents live in different states?

I am thinking about moving me and my son to a different state and wanting to have custody papers drawn up and wondering about how the custody works for parnets living in different states?

Answer Question

Asked by Sarah2271018 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • They go by the state you apply in. In most states you can't leave the state without dad's permission so you have to go to court in the state of residence (now) and get that taken care of.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • we have a verbal agreement right now on when he sees our child. nothing in writing.

    Comment by Sarah2271018 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • it depends onthe age also and how far the other state is from your current state. i know my cousin's ex wife moved to texas with his daughter and she was older and got to go to florida on vacations. that is how much i know about it. i moved out of state from my dd father but i been here for a year so we are residents and we have nothing in writing except child support. he told me he is going to court over that but she is only 18months so i think the over night thing is difficult with the younger ones but in your situation your child might know the father my daughter does not so its different. just file to protect yourself and your child.

    Answer by lambdarose at 1:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.