Do you think its ok to smoke around kids? How old is "old enough" to smoke around them?

I do not agree with smoking around my kids, or any kids at that. My daughter is not allowed to be around anyone smoking. She does not understand its bad for her. And she can not tell someone to stop. Its my job as her mom to keep it away from her. I don't even allow people to smoke around me because im pregnant. BUT When it comes to my 2 yr old niece everyone smokes around her like its different from her being one. They say shes big enough to be around it.
When I come into a room where people are smoking I tend to just walk right back out. Everyone keeps telling me it will not hurt my child like they choose what goes on with my kids. What are your views on smoking?

chrstny88

Asked by chrstny88 at 8:49 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I think it's harnful to smke around anyone regardless of their age. I don't like anyone smoking around me or my kids either.
    Anonymous

• i think its rude to smoke around ANYONE, its a burden youre putting on THEM and its YOUR decision to do it, if you want to smoke, dont walk up to a group of people and spark a cigarette, go somwehere where its away from someone, or ask if it bothers them BEFORE doing it. around kids,i dont think you should ever smoke around them.

i WAS a smoker too... just quit about 7 months ago.
    MichelleWMama2B

Answer by MichelleWMama2B at 8:52 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I will not let anyone smoke around my daughter. I won't anyone smoke around me. Never will. It's disgusting and a major health hazard.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:53 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I do not feel that any child should be around smoke. The adults should realize that they can do what they want to themselves, but it's not o.k. to expose a child to smoke. Second hand smoke can cause lung cancer and allergies. Those adults need to read up on the facts. I'm a smoker but no way in the house ar around my (or anyone elses) child.
    funmom09

Answer by funmom09 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• i guess im gonna have to say its ok to smoke around your kids when THEY start smoking too? lol im kidding but seriously, my oldest is 9 and he is around inlaws who smoke but they have the decency to go outside to smoke or down in the basement, if my kids are down in the basement while they are smoking, its fine to me, but i still wouldnt want my 2 year old around smoke, as they get older, i dont mind too much.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I am a smoker. I have two grandchildren and a DIL, who don't like smoke, I totally understand and would never smoke around them. I do respect others who don't smoke. I totally understand them not wanting to be around it or have their kids around it...I don't smoke around my any of my grandkids, although some of their parents do smoke. I am not against people smoking, it's their choice....but they should respect those who choose not to smoke, or those too young to speak for themselves.....JMO...LOL
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• i smoke and have been smoking around my kids since they were 1 they have no health problems i have no health problems and both my parents smoked around me so if anything when a parent smokes it might get them smoking i do tell my kids its bad and i wished i never started and i have been smoking since i was 13 so i do agree with some of you when you say is disgusting i think it is to and i want to quit for me and my kids but its hard to quit and the stuff to quit is expensive yes i know smoking is i do respect people who dont smoke i dont smoke in someones house who dont allow it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I don't and won't allow people to smoke around my son. It is proven that second hand smoke is worse than first hand. I think it is rude and a bad example for children. Smoking is your choice and I respect that but I nor my son choses to smoke and we shouldn't have to suffer the consequences.
    ayindemommy

Answer by ayindemommy at 11:15 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I don't allow it around my children or myself. My oldest is 6yrs old. It's never okay
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:47 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• It is harmful. In some states (Calif. being one) it is against the law to smoke in a car with a child in it. My sister smokes and she never smokes inside or where her kids can see her. They know she smokes, it is not a secret, she just doesn't feel it is appropriate for them to see it, smell it, or be near it. Her youngest is 12 BTW.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2008