Ants in Your Pants? You'll probably live longer.

Excerpts from article by Jim Sollisch, WSJ
I was one of those kids who couldn't sit still. My mother was forever saying that I had "shpilkes" -- Yiddish for ants in your pants. Who knew it could save my life?
According to a recent study by the American Cancer Society, the more you sit still, the higher your risk of premature death.
The bottom line: Don't just sit there--fidget. Bounce a leg. Get up and stand every 15 minutes or so. Take a quick walk around the room.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 1:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Health

• I agree!! it works and it must be healthy because I have the energy and the interests of a 25 year old but...I am 68. I tap my toes,I do stretches in the kitchen while cooking, I do "warrior pose" while in the laundry room,waiting to put the wash in the dryer, etc. I was like that in school too. ;-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• are you a guy? I don't think it has to do with fidgeting so much as it has to do with burning more calories. I believe it as to do with how many calories you burn. People who burn more calories than they eat will definitely live longer, and people who fidget burn more calories because they can't sit still. All that extra movement makes them burn more calories than someone who doesn't fidget. BUT, someone who doesn't move around all day could easily exercise daily & live a very long life.

They have done studies on mice, rats & humans. And with all three, they found that when fed a low calorie diet & when exercising regularly, they lived much longer than the ones who sat around all day. So, i believe that a non-fidgety person can easily live longer just by exercise & eating right.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• wow is this just a study for adults because think about all of the kids who move and fidget and still end up with cancer? I moved around so much they told my mother they were going to tie me down. LOL well it is only a study.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If only my first-grade teacher had recognized me for the health pioneer that I was. Here's what she wrote on my report card in the comments section: "Jimmy has to learn to sit still and stay in his seat. He can't jump up every minutes and run around the room."

Oh yes he can. That's how I get through the day.

Not only does all that tapping and leg crossing and squirming burn off calories, but fidgeting also has a positive effect on brain activity.
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2010