antacids..how much is too much?

i called the pharmacy because my pain meds are making me sick and they suggested taking an antacid (so dh got me some tums) its says to take between 2-4 as needed. i took 2 earlier and i felt okay for a minute..but now i'm feeling queezy again so i'm about to take 2 more. I'm wondering if i start feeling sick again though if its okay to keep taking them...is there a limit?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Health

• don't take pain meds with an antacid. take them with food. pain meds with an antacid is the best way to give yourself an ulcer. have a snack or meal with your meds so you won't get sick and you'll absorb them better
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• no no ..lol i did eat before i took the pain meds..its even been hours ago and now i'm feeling sick..so i took the antacid..but i still feel sick
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• antacids don't help nausea. you might want to call a different pharmacy. i find that not having quite so much liquid with certain medications or when i am nauseous helps. and i got a tip from a drug addict many years ago when i was on pain meds and couldn't stomach them - take motion sickness medicine. it worked, but frankly i can't vouch for the safety of it at all.. it was a drug addict after all. there are also things that are definitely safe like saltines or sourdough pretzels that could help.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010