How can I stay away from my daughter soical life?

I love my baby and want the best for her. Ihat it when I have to really get involve with her friends. They ask me for advice that they should ask their mothers. I know that some one with a good head should answer them but they do have mother most of their mother are trying to be rappers, singer, dancers and such. And me I am traditional and I love to cook, clean and chill

dorotheabrown37

Asked by dorotheabrown37 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If they come to you than your daughter will learn to live with it. Your my mom and it never really bothered me and when it did I didn't voice much, i wasn't part of the situation and didn't want to be. It's fine to be a positive role model.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Just be an ear and lead them to make their own decisions. Help them find their own pros and cons to situations. It is amazing how kids can work thengs through.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• These girls are probably asking you these questions because they feel like they can't ask their own mothers, for whatever reason. I think its great that they respect you and look up to you...although I can see how it would be hard to answer them or give them advice not knowing how their own mothers would handle the question. If I were you, I would just give them as generic advice as you can, like something that 90% of people would agree with. I.e. doing drugs is wrong...get good grades, etc. etc. I don't know what they are asking you, but if you don't feel comfortable answering them, tell them to talk to their moms about it and maybe you can contact the mother and tell her that her daughter has a lot of questions that she wants to ask and maybe she will approach her.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• there is nothing wrong with trying to make their own.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Also knowing what is going on in your daughter's friends lives will help you with knowing what is happening with your own daughter.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I get the feeling there is judging on your behalf maybe they are just trying to work just as there is nothing wrong with being traditional and giving good advice there is no shame in dancing rapping or making a name for yourself.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If they are coming to you. and they feel close to you (and its not you going to them).. KEEP AT IT! Does your dd have a problem with it? does your dd talking to you? (Like do u have the relationship with ur dd that u have with her friends?) Does she understand whatever her friends say wont effect your dd (what if someone said they had sex-- would you still b ok with your dd being with that friend, or are you going to start questioning your dd sexual activity?)
    My BFF mom was like that. You could talk to her & she was understanding, but the DD & mom was like bff's... They kept their mother/dd relationship but she knew she could always openly talk to her mom about things. It was a beautiful relationship that most never find in their parents until they are grown adults with kids of their own..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• well, she likes you & trusts you, my daughter's friend always came to me with issues. It is easier for them to talk to us than their moms. I wouldn't mind
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:57 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Why do you want to stay away from teens that need you? They need someone to listen to them and give them advise. They are going t you because obviously they are being ignored at home. Just listen to them and be there when they need you.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Children need someone safe to listen to them, to offer unbiased advice on a situation and even sometimes the extra guidance. Children don't always feel comfortable telling their parents everything in their lives or even asking for advice. I know my older son goes to a couple other parents, who then in return come to me and tell me. I've also taken an interest in my son's life and his friends, its the only way I'm going to really know what's going on. I have a great relationship with my son, but I know there are things he omts or doesn't talk about. They trust you. I really don't think its a bad thing, I have many conversations with both of my son's friends.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2010