quiet!!

I have a two and a half year old and a six month old. When I put the baby down to sleep, my toddler will start talking loudly and throws most of her tantrums during naptime. I lay down with the baby and nurse her until she sleeps so I can't exactly get up when my baby is almost asleep. I have no help and are confined to our bedroom. (were renting a room out at my mil's and the rest of the house is unsafe-- glass figurines, pots, jars, glass flowers, & other breakable decorations of that sort) how can I teach my daughter she needs to stay quiet so the baby can nap. My poor baby hasn't had an uninterrupted nap since she was born.

Please help!!

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 8:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Can you read and nurse at the same time? Make her your helper in some kind of way. Start her on some "helping" project just before you begin nursing. She's jealous. Distract her. Picture books, coloring books. Talk to her while you nurse so she doesn't feel left out, after a coulple of days, intoduce the word patiece., she will understand. Use your soothing voice...

Worked in my house
    Star419

Answer by Star419 at 11:16 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I know that is hard trying to keep both kids in one room. Try turning on a TV show the older one likes, or a movie. That's what I do with my 3 year old granddaughter during nap time for the younger ones. I make her play quietly or watch TV...and it's her "rest" time. Maybe have some quiet toys that you only give him/her at nap time, maybe coloring books and crayons, sticker books. Teach him/her about whispering, they love to whisper, you can talk back and forth in whispers only.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• The thing about my daughter is that she's very social. She loves talking to others-- especially when she's playing alone. And as for whispering-- she thinks its hilarious. She'll whisper something to me and will start laughing hysterically. Its tough and my baby is suffering for it.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 9:34 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• What about a toddler play yard in another part of the house? I love mine!! Its bigger than a pack'n'play, so there is room to walk around and it can easily be folded up when not in use. Then she can be safe and out of the room while the baby naps.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• it sounds to me that someone could possibly be a little jealous your spending that time with the baby trying to get her down for anap and telling the other to be quiet. why dont you trying tellin her if she is quiet while you're trying to get the baby to sleep she can have mommy time just for her when the baby is sleeping
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 24, 2008