Allergy medicine and anti Depressants...cops treat it as if you were a drug addict???

I watched this on the news yesterday. idk if it's just in my state but do you think this is fair or right. anti histamines and anti depressants alter your judgement and reaction time when you drive. if a cop catches you driving under the influence of either one they will treat you as if you were under the influence of illegal drugs. they seize your car, you are arrested, and there is a hefty fine. now like i said i don't remember if this is only my state but does this seem fair to you as a lot of people need either one to function?

aliishott2

Asked by aliishott2 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I need both to function and if I ever got arrested for it and denied it for the next dose cause I'm in lockup, the cops would have a very sick, runny nose, snot and sneezing all over the place, pissed off ready to kill person on their hands. If they would leave me alone I wouldn't bother them lol.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• yes they do..it is sad they act this way .
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 2:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Personally, I know I can't drive under the influence of antihistamines. In some cases, yes, they do alter your abilities to drive safely. Many even come with warnings that people ignore and put other people's lives at risk. Personally, I think if you are driving erratically and found to be ignoring warning labels on your medications, you should face consequences.

People take driving for granted. In reality, it's dangerous even when you are on your top game. When you are not, it can be deadly.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Just because it is sold over the counter instead of by prescription does not mean it is safe and has no side effects. It's unfortunate that more people don't understand that. If you are impaired you are impaired. It doesn't matter if you got that way through beer, sudafed or xanax - if the label says don't drive, you have no business driving.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• if the label says don't drive, you have no business driving.

THIS^.

Impaired driving is dangerous, no matter the substance consumed-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• codiene makes me impaired.. Pamprine or whatever its called for menstral cramps I took 2 and did not know it would impair me wow I found out half way through a 20 min drive to church. I threw the package away.. since I am very sensitive to the stuff. I will under no circumstances drive under the influence of anything that might make me dizzy.
    yeah you need to be off the road if your on sudafed ( that knocks me out) or anything that makes you dizzy.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I am taking an ati depressant and have for years and I have taken allergy meds at the same time. They don't affect me any which way. I think most people don't have that reaction unless they are very sensitive to antihistamines but there is a warning on most medicines anyway. People need to make sure of how a medication will affect them before driving. I suppose no matter what you are on or doing, if a cop thinks you can't handle the car on the road they should stop you so you don't kill someone or yourself.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i didn't say you should drive...it seems like some people don't seem to understand that..WHAT I SAID WAS should they be treated like drug addicts...please read thoroughly before answering a question
    aliishott2

Comment by aliishott2 (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• The antidepressants I take do not make me drowsy. They just make me thirsty. I would never dream of driving if I knew that I did not have my faculties about me.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• What anti-depressant impairs your driving?

Anti histamines- I take Allegra, and it's fantastic. No nervous shakes, no drowsy. I love it.

No they should not be treated like drug addicts- but if a person is impaired, they are impaired, and shouldn't be driving. They should be charged with driving while impaired, but not sent to rehab or anything stupid like that.

Saya

Answer by Saya at 7:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2010