how do I dicipline my toddlers without hitting them?

mommyoftwo1579

Asked by mommyoftwo1579 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Discipline must be separated from anger. I know that's easier said than done. I do believe in swatting their butts, but you really should cool off first. Count to yourself in your head.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I tap my 3 yr old on the bottom. Not hard just a little bit and she knows the meaning of it.
    RenoMama

Answer by RenoMama at 2:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My child would Laugh when he would get his butt swatted, now we do time out and he hasn't had to be disciplined in over a week now.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I also swat my son on the butt just to get his attention but not hard enough it would hurt. Or I would just put him in time out either in his room or the couch.
    MJWill

Answer by MJWill at 2:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would swat my daughter on the butt when she was little, but that never bothered her lol
    So I did some time-outs but I didn't expect her to learn to behave that early!!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 2:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Strict time outs work well. Get a chair, set it in the middle of a room. Set an egg timer (one minute for every year old) and tell him he is not allowed to talk, or play until the timer goes off. Explain to him why he is getting the time out and set it. Do not talk to him except to tell him to stay in the chair if he tries to get up. (I do 1 warning, 1 warning with threat of adding a minute, and then add a minute on the third warning. If mine continues to push it's mandatory nap.) After the time is up, again explain to him why he was given a time out, remind him that you love him and you want him to be good and know that he can. Give him a hug and a kiss and send him on his way.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 2:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Time out. Get the child to sit some place, and when they cool off sit and tell them what they did wrong, why it was wrong so they understand, and then let them go back to their play. I agree with the first response, never discipline out of anger <3.
    momto1plus2b

Answer by momto1plus2b at 3:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i would tell them to go to their room or sit still and they dont like to be in their rooms alone and then i would ask her why was she in her room and and she would tell me and apoligize and that has really been working with her
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• if there is 100 ways to teach and the first 100 ways don't work, find more ways.. my husbands words right now... he was severely spanked that lead to beating all while having the emotional and verbal abuse as well... it makes him try harder as a parent to come up with any other way of teaching our son and raising him better.. we do believe in spanking if he was to ever put himself in harms way or a dangerous situation but we are constantly around him enough where luckily that has yet to happen.. his words " your kids will hate you forever, all he remembers is the beating, not what it was for" I've had to walk away and cry scream and be calmed by my husbands words before. there is no shame in being frustrated.. it happens. We are all learning as a family. :) good luck.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2010