Do you Want your child to have access to their cell phone at school? Note: Worse case scenario - what if emergency happened and school officials couldn't reach all parents in timely fashion.

emily1230

Asked by emily1230 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes. When I was in HS, there were phones in the office and A payphone in the cafeteria. A friend of mine was jumped in the basement (where granted we shouldn't have been) and was bleeding very badly. Although we sent someone to get help, we didn't know how to handle this amount of blood, and by the time the other student got to the office (on the other side of the school) convinced them to call 911, and get us help, it was to late... Had just one of us had a phone, we could have called 911, and at least had someone talk us through what to do... He could have lived... He didn't. Instead, we sat there and watched him bleed to death, holding his hand rather than helping him... I've seen first hand what happens when help can't be reached fast enough, I don't want my children to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I say if it is kept in their locker thats fine, but I do not think they should have it on them. It's a distraction to themselves and other around them.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Cell phones should STAY in lockers, and be shut off. The chances of some huge emergency where the kids just MUST contact their parents via their own phone is QUITE RARE. They are a distraction in the classroom, and should stay out of them imo.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• ALL electronic devices are to be OFF during the school day in our school district. There will NEVER be a time at school when they cannot get a hold of either a parent or other emergency contact.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• No, cell phones should be off or in the lockers. Kids are often unable to stop texting (addicted). What happened before cell phones? To many parents are buying into the teens reasoning.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• She does but i dnt like it one bit, my step daughter ended up having a seizure in school& they called me right away.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• my ss has his w/ him at all times and does great in all his classes i don't see the problem
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It is a distraction in class, so if they do have it they shouldn't bring it out and use it while in class.

Answer by older at 3:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think it should be like it is in college. You can have your phone, but keep it in your pocket or bag on vibrate. If you have to take a phone call, step out of the room. I think that in high school or whatever, they should be allowed to have them so long as they don't have them out in class all the time, keep them on vibrate or silent, and their grades aren't suffering (ex. if they were a "C" student before, and remain a "C" student, then the cell phone is not the reason they have lower grades).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think parents are too controlling who feel that they have to be in constant contact with their kids. The kids should be concentrating on their learning, not their phones. And I don't care who the kid is, if they're allowed to have it on them during the day, even if it's on silent, they're going to be texting their friends at any opportunity.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010