How do I potty train a stubborn child?

My cild is 2 1/2 and I can not get him to go potty in the big boy potty. He willt ake his diaper off when he goes in it and throws it away, but will not go on the toilet. I have tryed everything, but it is time. H ewill go get a diaper and tell me he went but nothing else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had the exact same problem with my daughter starting when she turn 2. She wasn't actually potty trained until after her 3rd birthday. I had to continually work with her on and off and until she was finally ready. I found it helped the most when I got rid of the diapers and pull-ups and let her where big girl underwear. I would work with her everyday and take her to the potty about every half an hour and let her try to potty and every time she did I would make a big deal out of her accomplishment, starting out with rewards (stickers, small prizes, or a sweet treat)and praise. Then once she was getting the hang of it, praise was enough to excite her. He will come around, don't give up, but don't push him if he doesn't want to.
    drgnfly19

Answer by drgnfly19 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• my mom told me that when she was potty training me, the ONLY way she could get me on the big girl potty was to let me put all my doll babies up on the potty(one at a time) and make a tinkle noise for them, after all of them had peepee'd I would go too. she said if i really had to go i would tell them to hurry up, since she would make me wear big girl panties. i agree with drgnfly19 about the reward thing too! like make a chart and when they potty in the potty, he gets a sticker, at the end of the day if he used the potty every time he gets a special prize (like his favorite book or extra long bath time with bubble bath and toys galore)good luck mama.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 11:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2008