"Boys will be boys'

How to feel when you hear this saying? What do you feel about it?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 3:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't agree with it at all. I think it's a cop out, an excuse for parents. Not only do boys vary in aggressiveness and behavior, but when manners and proper behavior is instilled in them they don't act like mini-cavemen. I don't agree that there's nothing that can be done about the aggressive, dirty, or barbaric nature in some of the male species. Every person has an ability to learn manners and proper behavior. Every person has the ability to instill that in a younger person. There's no such thing as "Oh that's just how it is". There's always a behavior you can right, always a manner you can instill, always a cleanliness you can pass on.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• That is an old-fashioned, lazy way of thinking. And a stereotype. I had two girls and one boy----there was not a huge difference in them. My son ,in fact,was easier to raise and less confrontational than my oldest daughter who was a very stubborn and aggressive person--still is. I would not use that excuse to explain away bad behavior. If a boy got in trouble,or drank while underage,,or got a girl pregnant, it would NOT be a case of "boys will be boys". It would be a case of parents not being able to discipline and raise their son to be a mature,responsible ,respectful person.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It is a very true statement.

Answer by older at 3:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Boys and girls are different. But both boys and girls can listen to their parents. And do as they are told.

Answer by louise2 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have 3 boys, and to an extent, it's true. However, it is not an excuse to let kids do whatever they want. they still need boundaries.
    Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think there is truth to it to a point, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to let a little boy run wild.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• After reading a book called "Strong fathers strong daughters" that phrase pisses me off. In the book it gives an account of a girl who told her mom that her best friend who was a boy, pushed himself on her sexually. When the mom told the father he simply said "boys will be boys" and wouldn't do anything about it. So, yes, that phrase pisses me off.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 4:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• boys will be boys is an excuse to get away with bad behavior. Not cool!
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 5:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• and then they will be brutish, toffe-nosed malodorous perverts, if their behavior as children is written off to being natural for their gender.

I don't believe in suspending a six year old for kissing a girl against her will, but I DO believe you don't dismiss it, it's an excellent opportunity to talk about respect and unwanted advances.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• There is some credible truth in it but it has nothing to do with being brutes or boors! Girls will be girls too!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2010