Do you think marriage is to make it legal for the government or to have the marriage recognized by God?

Is it more important that the marriage is recognized by the government or is it more important that God has sanctioned the union?
I wonder why peole get married when there are so many living as a couple without a civil or religious ceremony.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 3:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• i think its more of a government thing, i know of a couple who had a church wedding but werent legally married just because they didnt want to be in sin but didnt want to affect the others ssi
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It can be both, people decide to go the legal way to protect their legal rights.

Answer by older at 3:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• In my opinion, it's just a legal thing.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Recognized by the government. I agree with you. My husband and I married just for legal reasons. We both feel that having being together is what we need and a piece of paper can't/won't tell us committed we are to one another. If my husband wasn't in the militray we would have never married and just been living together. That piece of paper just helps for legal reasons.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• government...
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I'm Agnostic and DH is Athiest, so we don't recognize marriage in the manner of any religious union.
    To me marriage is nothing more then a legal commitment to the government. Whether for insurance, posession, or legal union. However, it was also DH's and my way of saying to ourselves and our future children that we are commited in this forever. We knew we'd be together forever, but marriage in itself didn't commit us any more or less. It's just a document varifying what we already commited to one another.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Recognized by the government. In our society, to be married requires a piece of paper. God tells us to obey the laws of the land so I don't believe God recognizes marriages that aren't legal. **I'm speaking specifically of our society, not of other cultures or extreme circumstance**
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• To me it was more important to be recognized by God. The religious ceremony was important to me.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• We want to make it legal and be ok with God. We got married because we love each other and we want to my dh adopt my daughter. We HAVE to be married for an adoption of this kind.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 3:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Both. By having it legal through the government, and real in the eyes of God, I'm able to continue to be a SAHM while I go to school to earn a degree that will have us living a better life.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010