she won't eat solids

My 7 month old doesn't really like eating gerber, rice cereal, or anything from a spoon. She won't open her mouth and I'm afraid nursing her won't provide enough nutrition to grow and stay healthy. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 9:29 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter acted the same way when she first started eating solids. Try doing something that makes her laugh and when she opens her mouth, shove it in there! It sounds harsh (just make sure you dont choke her) but once she realizes she likes the taste, she will be more willing to open her mouth. They also take awhile to get the hang of eating from a spoon so she might not realize she needs to open her mouth to get it in there.
    MommyEastman

Answer by MommyEastman at 12:17 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Don't fret too much. Breast milk will be her main source of nutrition for the first year even when she starts eating solids. Just keep giving it a try. Have you tried making your own baby food and cereal? It may taste better to her. I make baby food in large batches, put it in ice cube trays to freeze it (each cube is approx. 1 oz. serving), then pop them in a bag and keep it in the freezer. I have a small baby food maker as well that once she can start eating meats I'll be able to throw whatever we're eating for dinner in it to make her a meal. I also make her own cereal from ground organic brown rice. I just keep the powder in a container in the fridge and make it in batches that last a few days at a time. It's really not that time consuming. It's cheaper. And I would imagine it would taste better too. Check out wholesomebabyfood.com. It's a great resource.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 10:12 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Is she not able to eat from a spoon or does she just not want to? Have you tried mixing the cereal with breast milk?
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 10:17 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Don't worry about nutrition if she is breastfed she will be fine. She will take foods at her own time. Just keep offering them. Would she rather try to feed herslef? I have a young cousin (now 5 yrs) that wouldn't eat from a spoon either, but when he could do things himself with tiny bits of soft foods he ate just fine. So maybe try when she is able to do that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:57 AM on Oct. 24, 2008