What else can I do to Potty Train my 3 year old?

I have a 3 year old little girl. We are having the hardest time try to potty train her. We have been in this process for about a year and a half now. We take her to the potty with us (she will most the time go if we take/make her), rewarded her, talked to her about it, and even let her see her little girlfriends the same age going to the potty. But she will not go on her on, she has told us she needs to go only a handful of times but she wont tell us all the time. Sometimes she throws a BIG fit when we try to make her go to. Kicking and screaming. She knows when she has to go to cause she will go and hide to do number 2 and tell you after she has done number 1. We are running out of time because she will go into Pre-K next year and the children have to be potty trained!

s_harden

Asked by s_harden at 4:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I always used to read and sit on the floor next to my kids while they were being potty trained not sure what else you can do Girls are usually so easy
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would put her in underwear all the time...maybe just pull-ups for nap/bedtime. Let her feel the pee/poop coming then. You'll have accidents. My friend calls this the "pay to steam clean your carpets" method of potty training! Good luck!!
    wantagirl482

Answer by wantagirl482 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• When I was potty training my son, who was 1.5 at the time we started and was 3.5 by the time we were completed, I started with taking him when I or my husband went, but no help...We did sticker charts and taking books to help him go...that helped for a while but stopped...HE ALWAYS had trouble pooping..he would be fine going pee, so one day I just decided, he wasn't going to get up until he pooped. We only had to do it once. We stayed in the bathroom for almost an hour. NO it wasn't cruel, he did not cry he just tried his best to get off the potty a few times. :) Hang in there. It will get better. You will hear this a lot if you haven't already..

Be patient and Consistent. Take her every 20 minutes until she gets the hang of it.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• sometimes we wreck our brains but is all her if she does not want to go she wont. if she tells u aftr the fact then she knows i would tell her i would take some of her favorite shows or a favorite toy or doll and she can only play with it or watch it if she goes potty.make her reward something she doesnt get all the time but loves alot
    gianna530

Answer by gianna530 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Is she out of diapers? You need to take the diapers away completely. Take her every half hour to start. She'll get it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, she is out of diapers and has been since we started. She even goes and changes her own pull ups sometimes instead of tell us.
    s_harden

Comment by s_harden (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My son potty trained at 3 years old on his own. I told him when he was ready, just to let us know. He potty trained in 1 week.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Just be CONSISTENT.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 5:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• bein consistent is the key
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 7:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010