Thinking of starting a small home bakery.

I'm really good at baking. Cakes cookies and muffins are my life. I was looking througha kitchen krafts book and they sell the supplies I would need. Nothing big, not trying to open a real bakery but just think its something I could do in my spare time. Have you or anyone you know ever done this? How did it work out. And where do I get started. I already have a small clientele.

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, the one big thing you need, is a scrapbook of cakes you have done. I bake and decorate cakes myself. I love it. It's a stress reliever for me so I do it a lot. :)
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 4:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• There are a LOT of regulations on selling baked goods from home. Get in touch with your county and they'll point you in the right direction! I
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:30 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Some states don't allow this, or have strict regulations regarding equipment and inspections, so you will need to check into that first.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Your county health department website is where to go to see about restrictioins for in home food businesses.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If your local area doesnt allow you to sell your goods, you can accept donations for your efforts and the baked goods are free so to speak. In the meantime find a place or get your place in order so that you can meet the requirements needed to produce your ambition. Then go to mom-pop cafes, coffee shoppes,etc. take samples and sell thru their shop as homemade from your business. Maybe they'd let you attach a card with a receipt attached with each purchase with your name and phone number in small print on it. Then do Flee markets, county fairs, school functions, fund raisers....depending upon how big you want your responsibilities. Good luck and keep in touch!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You need to start by finding a commercial kitchen to rent, or getting your home kitchen certified.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Have you ever heard of "My Grandma's Coffee Cake Company?" The owner literally started selling them out of a converted garage in his West Roxbury, Massachusetts home, and as word spread, he eventually went national and now sells them in some grocery store chains and online!

I think if you find your niche that offers a unique, quality item, yet is common enough, that everyone will want one, you should put all of your time and talents into baking them and marketing this specialty everywhere you can. Word of mouth spreads like wildfire!

I agree with the others, if you plan on even selling "here and there" most towns require a "peddler's license" a tax ID number (you need to call your state and pay the fee to get one), and because it's food products, you will need to meet health code regulations and inspections. Also, because you are selling food, you need to liability insurance, if someone claims to get ill! It happens!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• You go girl!
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2010