• In the Spotlight:

Why Is My Cat

Peeing in places other than his litterbox? Let me tell you a little story leading up to this. I have two male, neutered, inside cats. They are adults. They have always used the litterbox, even when I have comapny. (The litterbox is kept in the guest room.) This Wednesday, one of my brother - in- laws came. My oldest cat has been peeing in other places other than the litterbox since my bil arrivviale. Why is he doing this? I am so tired of it. What can I do to stop it?

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 4:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Pets

• He might be sick. When cats get sick the pee everywhere. When my cat was sick he started doing that. Take him to a vet and get him checked out.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I agree with mommy_of_two
    Most people are quick to think it's behavioral when the majority of the time the cat is actually sick.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 6:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I also agree. Cats will start peeing in other places when they are sick. Have the vet check for a urinary tract infection.

If it turns out that he isn't sick, it could just be his way of protesting. Does your BIL close the bedroom door at any time? If he has, your cat might take it to mean that he's not to use the box anymore. I suggest moving the box til your BIL leaves and cleaning up ANY place that your cat has peed in the past.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 6:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yep, time to take him into the vet and have him checked better safe then sorry.
    Catrin2009

Answer by Catrin2009 at 6:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I'd take him to the vet..he may very well be sick.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yep - my 10 year old male neutered indoor cat has been doing this occasionally. He had surgery 10 days ago, and hasn't done it since....I'm waiting to see. Hopefully since he's no longer sick it will go away.
    irishcoffee

Answer by irishcoffee at 9:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• He either is threatened by the visit of the person, or he may have a urinary tract infection. Male cats can become blocked VERY easily!! you should make an appointment as soon as possible with your vet. I have been working at a Vet's office since I was 12 and attended Vet school. Better to start with the basica first and go from there. Call the Vet
    FIREMOMMY1978

Answer by FIREMOMMY1978 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yep i agree hes sick :(
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 12:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2010