Naming a baby after a loved one who has passed away

Do you think it is odd to do so? Or do you think it may make the child think they have to live up to that person?
I think it is fine, especially used as a middle name. We are due in January and one name option is my FIL's name since he passed away 2 1/2 yrs ago but we would both rather use the name as a middle name.
We did name my son my maiden name because we loved the name and since my dad died when I was prego with my son it was very fitting! But it was easier to use that name as a first name because it was my last name, not my dad's name.

8sweetpea

Asked by 8sweetpea at 4:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Baby Names

• My DS is named after my DH's grandfather, who he adored, and his middle name is my father's, who is still very much alive. DS is very proud of both of his names and the history that comes with them.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 4:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Well since my son has my Dad's first name and his middle name is my hubbys' Dad's name.... and both have passed... then I think it's OK. The Day we berried my dad I had a dream that someday I'd have a son named Jon... and I did!! ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 5:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My one granddaughter has my son's (he died when he was 10) name - RYAN- as her middle name.
    My other granddaughter has my deceased FIL name as her middle name -RAY and her middle name is RAE.
    I think it is honoring both of them.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 5:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My oldest daughter's name is Alice - named after my grandmother who passed away the same month I found out I was pregnant. I think it's a beautiful thing to do, if you like the name and feel comfortable with it. It helped, with us, that I am obsessed with everything Alice In Wonderland as well. So it felt like a personal choice yet a great way to honor a loved one.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 5:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think using a deceased loved ones name is great. My brother passed away last year and if I had another child (boy) I would use his name as my childs middle. Also my son is named after my husband's g-grandfather. I think it is completely okay to do this and a wonderful way to show your love for the person that has passed on.
    trendy2

Answer by trendy2 at 5:14 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• no...my son middle is named after my grandfather who passed away of cancer in 1994
    Firsttimemom252

Answer by Firsttimemom252 at 5:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My daughter is named after her great-grandmother, who recently passed away. Her middle name is after my DH's brother who passed when I was pregnant with her.
    toobigfrogs

Answer by toobigfrogs at 5:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My DD name is a mix of my dad and my mom who have both passed And NO it is not one of those kooky made up names either
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Many Jewish people follow this tradition as a way of honoring a deceased love one. One nephew was given the name my parents had chosen if they had had a boy, my sister was pregnant when our dad passed away. One nephew has my dad's middle name. Do what seems right for you. Middle or first name it is still an honor.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 5:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Why would it be odd? I think it's a beautiful thing and the person you're naming the baby after would feel honored!

My husband and I are hoping to start TTC baby #2 in two years and we are planning to name the baby either Oliver Liam (my FIL's middle name and the last four letters of my grandfather's first name (William)) or Olivia Eindy (variation of FIL's middle name and MIL's middle name).

All people have passed on and are dearly missed. I know they would feel so honored to know we are naming our second child after them.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2010