Any mom out there in the military?

I am thinking about joining either army reserve or air force reserve. I have been in college for awhile and been trying to get into the medical field for 3 years with no luck. I am wondering if joining would help me get into my career path faster? I am in great shape and I know I can pass the ASVAB and the physical requirements. Back in high school I wanted to join the marines but got discouraged and never did it. Now I am a mom and don't want to be away from my baby too long at a time so I think reserves would be better. Can anyone help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Even though you are reserves, you will still have basic, AIT, training every month, and deployment. So that is something to think about. Are you a single parent or are you married?
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My husband is in the military. As a mother, I wouldn't be willing to do it. Its just too much time away from my kids.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I was in the Navy for ten years and waited until I got out to have a baby. I would not want to leave my daughter for a six week underway much less a 6 month deployment or longer. I don't know anything about Army and Air Force reserves, though. I thought Army reservists do deployments to Iraq/Afghanistan. So, I definitely wouldn't want to leave my daughter for the amount of time that would entail.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Honestly I have pondered this question myself. My husband is in the military, and I have seen moms in the military and also dual military couples with kids. Its hard. There is alot of time away from the kids. I mean honeslty, at least for the army, my husbands typical day is 630-5 and thats a normal, no extra stuff day. If I joined our daughter would be in daycare all that time. Daycare is subsidized so it is affordable, but as a mom I have been reluctant. I think if my daughter was in school it would be alitle easier. Also, you would have to have a family care plan, if you were single. Like if you deployed, you would have to have someone that would take custody of your child while deployed. I will say this the military is a life changing experience, and provides good opportunities if you take them.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 10:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I am currently in the Coast Guard and plan on making it a career. My daughter was five when I joined, and I am working on my degree while I am in with Tuition Assistance and will still have the GI bill when I get out (which can now be given to dependants if I don't use it). I love it and work M-F. I have been deployed and sent to training, but the longest I have had to be away (so far) was 9 weeks. This applies to reservists as well, so you won't be guaranteed to just do your one weekend a month two weeks a year and that is it. However, it is alot easier to finish school if you are reserve as opposed to Active duty just because of the time involved (this is assuming you aren't working otherwise). And yes, the Coast Guard is military. We aren't with DOD, but we do get deployed, recieve all the same benefits. It is a bit more competetive than the other branches; we are pretty small, but they are trying to recruit more reserves
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 12:00 AM on Oct. 3, 2010