How early did yor kids recognize that kids were other races? How did you respond?

Mommee42boyz

Asked by Mommee42boyz at 5:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• continued....they each had a sticker on them representing what coloured group they were in, and had to line up in that colour...and there was one lil girl there, she didnt have a sticker on her, but she was standing in the brown lineup...and one of the teachers came up to her and asked her " are you brown?"..the girl looked a lil puzzled, put he rbackpack on the ground, lifts up her shirt, looks at her tummy and says "nope, im white" LOL it was sooooo cute!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My kids have yet to notice and they are 3 and 1. I'll bump ya because I would like to know how to respond.

I think I would just tell them that some people have different colors of skin but that doesn't make them any different then us.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My daughter is 2 and I want to raise her to be proud of who she is, which includes her Irish, Italian, and French heritage as well as her American citizenship. We are proud to be white, and believe that other races should be proud as well. We aren't "all equal", we are all different and all beautiful. Not speaking of racial differences is silly imo.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I just read some interesting things on this very topic. Apparently children as young as 6 months can tell that someone "looks different' and that children are more likely to associate more with people who look like them. By not talking to them specifically about race other than a cursiory "we're all the same" is basically telling them "figure out the difference on your own". Of course we're different, everyone can tell that. It's up to us to explain those differences and exactly how deep those differences go, or dont go. Studies show that efforts to hopefully create color blind children by not making a point that those people are Mexican, and those people are white, and those people are green, or whatever is really just causing them to draw their own (often wrong) conclusions regarding race, and our views of race.
    In answer to your question, I think I started noticing DS staring harder at black people around a year old.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Let me ask you, did you come from a country called white? No you are proud of your HERITAGE!!! I;m sorry this comment made me not wonder why some kids these days are so ignorant. You are proud to be Italian, Irish and French as I am proud to be Italian, English and German. But I am not white. My skin is NOT the same color as a piece of paper. Sorry I am part of the human race. i do not tell my child she should be proud to be white. She should be proud to be Italian, German and English!!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• My son is 6 and he still doesn't notice.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• They know there are different races but, they don't make a big deal out of it. It is just part of their description like brown eyes or blonde hair. My kids did not even know what racism is until we moved to our current residence. Most of the kids here think white people are the root of all their problems. It is sad.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• most children notice the diffrence in skin color but they dont realize that is something to be concerned with. My daughter is 3/4 white &I know she notices that her mama is darker skinned than her.(im half africanamerican). As long as the people in the kids life dont make a big deal out of diffrent races the kids arent gna care.
    WonderMom2008

Answer by WonderMom2008 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I'm white and my husband is African American, so my children have never really "noticed"; different races has always been normal for them.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Honestly, my kids have never made a deal over race. They have interacted with children of all colors at this point, and I'm sure they have noticed, but they haven't ever really cared. Kids are Kids to them, not colors. I mean, my oldest is 4 1/2, and far from non-observant, so I can only guess he sees the difference, but so far, it has yet to really come up because they just don't care...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2010