Do you medicate your kids even though the label says not to for their age?

Mommee42boyz

Asked by Mommee42boyz at 5:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• No I don't. I work in a medical office with two pediatricians. There is no way I would give my kids anything that wasn't listed for them on the bottle without asking my pediatrician first. Some things are just not worth the risk.
    trendy2

Answer by trendy2 at 5:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes becuase my doctor advised me too. I have children Mortin and Tylenol I give my 14 month old. He's almost as big as a 2 yr old though. He's doctor just told me the proper dosage to give him I also have another one for children to prevent diarrhea and was just told what dosage is good for him. THIS WAS DOCTORS ORDERS. I was iffy but he said it's fine as long as it's the proper dosage.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I don't give my kids OTC medications without Dr approval.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• if i ask the doctor or pharmacy first..yes. Once i wanted to give my son chewable tablets that said age 6 and up..the pharmacy said it was the same thing
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Only when the Dr. said it was OK. What are you wanting to give your child?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• yes
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 5:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• as long as you have the proper dosing instructions for weight/age of your child, our dr.'s office gives out dosage guidelines for acetaminophen(sp?) and it was easy for me to figure out how much to give my 18month old from the regular children's tylenol that says only 2years and up. If i didn't have the proper dosing instructions though i wouldn't do it.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 5:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• my dr said to go by weight since both my kids are big for their age, but italk to him first before giving them anything new.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, I have. My dad's an ER nurse and he advises me of proper dosage for my daughter. The only 'not for their age' I will follow are for things like aspirin which the medicine isn't safe for the age.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 6:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If the doctor says to, yes. If not, or I can't as the doc, then no. It's parents who don't follow the rules like that and essentially OD the kids that made for all the med recalls & put an end to so many meds.
    Anonymous