My hubby and I are sick.

So we both have a sore throat. My hubby has flu like symptoms and has been steering clear of our 3 month old. Obviously I can't. So am I gonna pass on my illness? She is exclusively breastfed. Help please?

Annette4797

Asked by Annette4797 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• B/C she is breast fed she may not get sick..My kids never did
    Anonymous

• From kellymom.com:
    "The best thing you can do for your baby when you're sick is to continue to breastfeed. When you have a contagious illness such as a cold, flu, or other mild virus, your baby was exposed to the illness before you even knew you were sick. Your milk will not transmit your illness to baby, but it does have antibodies in it that are specific to your illness (plus anything else you or baby have been exposed to) - they'll help prevent baby from getting sick, or if he does get sick, he'll probably not be as sick as you.
    Withholding your breastmilk during an illness increases
    the possibility that baby will get sick, and deprives baby
    of the comfort and superior nutrition of nursing.

You can also take measures to prevent baby from getting sick by doing the usual things to prevent the spread of illness: washing hands often, avoid sneezing/coughing on baby, limiting face-to-face contact, etc ."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• It's possible that she'll get sick, but breastfeeding her will help if she does. She might not, but don't count on it. Just keep nursing. It's important to nurse her on demand if she starts to want to eat more, runny noses and other flu-like symptoms can be very dehydrating. If her nose gets stuffy and you need to suction it before a feeding, put (or squirt if you've got the aim) some breastmilk up her nose then suction it out. The breastmilk will loosen the nasal secretions and make them easier to suction. Also I found nursing mine in the bathtub (if they didn't have a fever) helped when they were congested.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 4:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2008