I have a very picky eater. He will only eat PB & Apple Jelly on whole wheat bread, vanilla yogurt, grilled cheese sandwiches, pepperoni pizza, apple sauce, pancakes or waffles, bacon, chicken nuggets and fries, certain cereals with milk. He has been this way for the last two years. It worries me a lot and I feel like I have done something to cause it but I have no idea what that could be. What can I do??

trendy2

Asked by trendy2 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I love the advice of nutritionist Ellyn Sater. Take a look at this: http://www.ellynsatter.com/how-to-feed-i-24.html
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Keep offering different things and let him see you eating different things.My 5 1/2 yo just started getting more daring with his eating habits within the last year. Good Luck. =)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 6:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Keep offering new things. Just put them on his plate. You'll probably be throwing it away a lot, but usually, kids will try it if they see it ehough. Eventually, it doesn't seem as "weird" to them anymore. Also, what i did when DD was about that age, i would sit & eat something by myself a little before it's time for her to eat. She would be hungry & curious what i was eating & a lot of the times, she would ask if she could try it, or say "what is that, is it yummy?"

If you keep putting say "grapes" or "green beans" on his dinner plate, he will eventually try it. Also, in my house...we eat our veggies FIRST. DD can have her pizza, chicken nuggets, fries..whatever..AFTER she eats her veggies. This way, she eats all her veggies. I've been doing this since she was very young though, so she is used to it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 6:28 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• dont worry....kids are crazy and eat what they feel like. He eats some healthy stuff, so atleast its not all cookies or anything! I have learned that you cant get them to eat anything they dont want to, so why stress it? My son is 6 1/2 now, and he still wont try new things or eat anything he has decided is nasty in the past. He is healthy and happy, so Im not gonna fight him on it! GL!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Don't worry! I take care of a 4 year old and he doesn't eat all day. He may have milk for b'fast and is always looking in the pantry for "junk." This has been going on for months. But he's growing! His dad is a pediatrician and doesn't seem to worry about it...so I wouldn't!
    pat54

Answer by pat54 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• OMGosh what kjrn79 said. Has helped so much with exposing my 2 year old to new foods!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 4:47 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Keep introducing a variety of foods. It sounds like it might just be a stage.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2010