Need some input!!

We are moving in 30 days and I am lost on where to even begin packing. I am trying to explain it to my 3 year old and that isn't going well. I really just need to know how any of you ladies have done it and where to begin. Thanks ladies!!

sagesmom724

Asked by sagesmom724 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Start with the closets and pack everything you don't think you need and then the drawers, kitchen cupboards, bathrooms just keep out a little bit so you aren't so over whelmed and pack up all the pictures and any decorations you have out making it as bare as possible
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Start with things you dont use alot and wont need if you pack like picture frames certain dishes you seldom use pack things like Stuff around your place like vases or statues extra blankets...GL
    Truelove77

Answer by Truelove77 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• When we move I have a head start because everything we don't use gets stored in rubbermaid totes so it's already packed. I pack decorations first, the walls are stripped, shelves cleared, etc. The kids pick a few outfits and toys each and everything else is packed (I do the same for hubby and me). I pack our bookshelves and the kids both get a school "box" each for all of their current books so there's no excuse for not doing school while we are moving. In the kitchen I pack everything but the dishes we would need for one day (four plates, four bowls, four glasses, etc) and the pots & pan I don't have to have. We do a lot of microwave cooking before we move so that I can pack as much as possible.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:00 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Start with anything you won't need before the move, or immediately afterwards - decorations, out-of-season clothing, extra kitchen gadgets/dishes/pots/pans/etc, extra toys, linens, bathroom stuff, etc. One room at a time. Use up the food you have in your pantry/freezer/fridge - don't buy any groceries other than perishables - the less food you have the less you have to move. Pack more frequently used stuff closer to the move. Stuff you'll need right away, mark! Ideally - a set of sheets for every bed, a towel for every body, a few things like that - all in one box so your first night you're not searching for the stuff to shower & sleep.
    Anonymous

• As far as your 3 yo, he isn't going to get it. But he will be scared his stuff won't come, make sure he knows this and have him help pack hi stuff maybe mart it with stickers so he will see it get packed with everything else. Have him help unpacking his stuff as well, let him have a say or pick were things go. A good night light for the bathroom will help as well. Before you pack go through stuff and get ride of the garbage, stuff you haven't touched in months or years. Yes, it is time consuming and annoying, but it will make unpacking so much easier. Then begin with the stuff you don't use often, room by room until you are left with the most haves, make sure some TD is in there. GL
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 9:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Pack a "first day in the new house" box! This box goes in the car. It should be packed with paperplates & plastic cups, flashlights & batteries, an alarm clock, paper towels, a roll of toilet paper, a box of wipes, non-perishable snacks, a big bottle of water, the cellphone charger (unless you have it somewhere else close at hand), new toys to keep the kids occupied ($1 store stuff is great) & cleaning supplies. If the moving truck is late or the utilties aren't working, you've got food, lights, phone & other essential stuff to keep the kids occupied until things get put to rights. You can add anything to the box you think you would like to have as soon as you arrive, like a blanket or 1 change of clothes each, etc.

For the rest of the house, start w/holiday things, off-season things, knicknacks & pictures, extra bedding & clothes & eventually all but the essentials. Use this as a chance to thin out what you own, too.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2010