Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

How do I bring my daughter home?

4 months ago my ex moved my daughter to TX. I was in school@the time&only agreed 2ths bc neither of us were employed&they wer moving in with his adopted father. 2months ago I decided I couldnt be with him anymore. He was never home,blew all our money on alcohol&cheated on me repeatedly. I was no longer in school&my ex&I had agreed tht she should live with me. At that time I told my ex of my relationship with my now fiancee. Now he is refusing to allow me to take her& since there was a dna test done tht proves hes the father the police keep telling me there is nothing I can do. He refused to sign her birth certificate &never showed any intrest in raising her. He is doing this to spite me. With him my little girl is in daycare for 12hrs evry day &is then cared for by her grandpa. I just want my daughter back. If you have any ideas or suggestions please respond.

Answer Question

Asked by WonderMom2008 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 7 (153 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Hugs! I think you should contact a lawyer and find out what your legal rights are and then take the ex to court for custody. I wish you luck and hope you have your daughter soon!

    Answer by MizLee at 7:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • if there is no formal custody agreement with the courts you have to take him to court!! The cops can't do much until there is a formal court order!!


    Answer by Morgain at 7:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • the police cant settle anything or do anything because they arent a judge but the courts will help you get visitation rights or custody, you may have to go through a lot of time and a lot of other things and a lot of money to fight for this but it would be so worth it!

    Answer by americansugar80 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • Take him to court and attempt to gain custody. Since there is no custody order in place, there is not really much you can do. Hire a lawyer is the best advice I can give you.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • If you are moving her back to her home state where she has been established it is really in your favor but if she hasn't gone to school or doesn't have family there it is a bit more difficult. The father does not need to allow the child to move to a new state... so I hope you are moving her to her 'home' state.

    Answer by seturkey at 8:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • Have you been to visit? Will he let you? You should go she her or he could say you abandoned her. You need to make sure your life is straight. A job. A home. Where will she go while you work/school? Call her and insist on talking to her. Ask if she needs anything. Buy her things to send her and keep proof: receipts, fedex/ups/post office receipts. Then go to the court house and see what you need to do. Call a lawyer. You can usually see them 1 time for free.

    You need to show that you have done everything you could. You could always see if he will let her "visit" you for a weekend and keep her. If he dosen't have to give her back you don't either.

    Answer by cassey.e at 8:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • wow YOU DO HAVE TO GIVE HER BACK. You can't just keep her.

    Answer by seturkey at 8:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

  • I think you should contact a lawyer and find out what your legal rights are and then take the ex to court for custody. I wish you luck and hope you have your daughter soon! but at least he is a real dad who actually wants his child to look on the brighter side of things but you should have her ever child should be with their mom

    Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.