I AM CURRENTLY BREASTFEEDING WELL JUST BREASTPUMPING I AM HAVING TROUBLE. I ONLY GET ABOUT 1 OZ EVERY 2 HRS I HAVE BEEN AT THIS FOR A MONTH ALREADY HELP! I AM WILLING TO LISTEN TO ALL ADVICE

DID ANYBODY FOLLOW ANY HOME REMEDIES THAT WORKED

SHORT_LEE10

Asked by SHORT_LEE10 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• The problem is, that pumping does not stimulate the breasts enough. Pumping alone will usually result in losing your milk. The only thing that can keep up your supply is a baby. They are designed to do it right. A pump will also never get out the same amount that a baby would ( that's why you eventually lose it. - it's a 24 hour feedback system- meaning if a baby starts nursing a lot, within 24 hours your body learns to make that amount of milk. If the baby doesn't nurse a lot, in 24 hours your body won't make as much.

Is there any way you can nurse the baby more? Also, you can try Fenugreek tea, but really what works is baby.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 7:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• when i breat-pumped, my milk dried up in no time, i guess its not the same as breastfeeding a baby, although i only breast-pumped just to purposely not breast feed anymore so i would purposely dry up. that could be happening to you.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• First thing you should know is that for some women, 24 oz pumped milk is a full supply.

How many times a day are you pumping? Ideal is 7-9x per day. Some women say 10 or more. I'd err on the side of as much as you can do.

How long do you go without pumping (especially at night)? The longest, ideally, should be no more than 4-5 hours. Some women say 3. In any case, most women see supply increase with nighttime pumpings, especially if you can pump between 2-6 am. For whatever reason, hormones in your body naturally during those hours are really good at getting good amounts.

Other than that... stay hydrated. Limit caffeine (including chocolate). Eat healthy. If you still feel like your supply is too low, then consider taking Fenugreek or Blessed Thistle or drinking Mother's Milk Tea. But try the natural supply boosters first, and remember... pumping is not as effective as a baby, so we have to be extra diligent to make it work
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 7:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Nurse More, your supply will go up.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• "The only thing that can keep up your supply is a baby."

This is not universally true. Babies are a LOT better at it, but some women don't have that option, such as myself... my four month old can't take anything by mouth. I would give almost anything to be able to breastfeed, but since it's not an option, it's up to me to keep my supply up. I don't have an insane supply like some mamas who leak buckets, but I have been able to provide her with breastmilk for what will end up being her first six months minimum (if I stop today).

One more thing for the OP... if you have the option, I do recommend letting your LO have the opportunity to nurse whenever you can. It is a lot easier and it is more effective, but if it isn't an option, you can still keep up your supply.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 7:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You CAN pump and get supply my son couldn't latch and I had to while he was in nicu and I used nothing it eventually justt came in but if you're not getting a good supply google fenugreek sp its an herb for milk supply and you can get it at whole foods and online at amazon it stimulates a hormone that helps you produce milk it works great according to someone who just had a baby w low supply baby is about 7 wks I'm gng to use it too
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 8:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Some less expensive breast pumps do not stimulate let down and will not let your body know to produce more milk. There are more options like renting a professional hospital grade pump, there are also medications that a doctor can prescribe that can increase supply. Baby is best to increase, the hormone prolactone. Do some Skin on Skin contact. Contact your local Lactation Consultant for more advice. Good luck, what a great start you are giving your little blessing!
    zakityzak

Answer by zakityzak at 8:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND ADVICE I WILL TAKE EVERYONES THOUGHTS INTO CONSIDERATION
    SHORT_LEE10

Comment by SHORT_LEE10 (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Oct. 2, 2010