Please share food budget meal plans...

So I was visiting another quesiton and saw where some of you are spending WAY less than we are each week/month for food. We do not have an Aldi store here in town and the only grocery store we have other than Walmart is usually pretty high. So, I'm asking for frugal meal plan suggestions we really need to get our food budget down. Thanks!

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 7:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My more frugal meals include:

spaghetti & meatballs (homemade sauce, homemade meatballs made with ground turkey)
    Shepherd's pie
    chicken cacciatore served over spaghetti, tossed salad with homemade croutons and homemade italian dressing
    potato & ham chowder served with muffins
    hamburger stew served with muffins
    bruschetta chicken bake, served with a vegetable
    roasted chicken with lentil & vegetable salad
    hawaiian chicken over rice
    tuna melts with homemade buns, pickles
    hamburger goulash, veggies
    salisbury patties with gravy served over mashed potatoes, green beans
    chicken alfredo (homemade sauce), veggies

I make all of our bread, tortillas, pasta, biscuits, salad dressings, seasoning mixes, & many sauces. We don't eat much cold cereal; I make pancakes & waffles & freeze them or make oatmeal & top it with a variety of fruits & other flavors. I also make plain yogurt (EASY in a crockpot) & the kid
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Well, I buy in bulk, grow my own veggies, go to the bread store, buy generic, make some of my own cleaners, go to the Dollar store or Dollar Tree
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• cont.....
    and the kids can make their own smoothies for breakfast or snack.

Lunches consists of sandwiches (tuna salad, egg salad, PB & J), soups, or leftovers.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Plan your menu out for the week and only buy what is on your list! This does take some time and planning, but it does help you save. Also, buy generic!!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 9:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't have many tips, we are just starting to try to save more money. I do now buy whole chickens and cook them in the crockpot to divide over several meals. I add diced potatoes and kidney beans to my taco meat (makes it seems like you are using more meat than you are) I buy in bulk when I can. Take advantage of th 10/$10 deals in the grocery store.

Angel Food Ministries has been a blessing to us in getting food on the table lately.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• The way we try to save money on food is to buy the larger cuts of meats when they are a really good price. Then we chop them up at home and freeze them. When we've got the freezer full of meat, then all I have to do is come up with meals for the week based off what's in the freezer.

We also buy a lot of bulk bin foods and keep an eye out for good deals on our regularly used food items and buy those when the price is really good. (EG: Canned shiitake mushrooms typically cost .77 at our store. They've been on sale for .54 for the past 2 weeks so we've stocked up.)

We also have family members who give us fresh-caught salmon/catfish all the time too, so that helps.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 8:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelets with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie (you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.
    Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons; eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money; they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tas