Public or Private(and sorry home school is not an option for this question)?

Would you rather your child go to public school or private school?

Private would provide a better education for my children but I would worry about the snobby kids.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 7:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in

• Public. We live in a very good school district. And, not all private schools provide a better education.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Private: on scholarship. Kids not snobby. Nice school. small classes.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 7:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Public.. the school district my son is in is really one of a kind. I love it. and this year I LOVE HIS TEACHER TOO.
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• The kids at my sons private school aren't snobby at all. They are sweet kids.
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 7:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I have 4 kids, all grown now.... but they all went to public school...The three oldest are out of college (all went on scholarships)..my youngest started LSU this year on a full academic scholarship!
    cancerfighter

Answer by cancerfighter at 7:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Our daughters go to a private school, carefully chosen as Andrea is right, not all of them do provide a better education. They are expensive too, so it is the only ' luxury' we can afford.

Snobbiness does not seem to a problem and as there is school uniform , we do not have problems with designer sneakers , clothes and the other annoying peer pressure fads which seem prevalent in the public system. I was educated in a private school, my husband in the public system and we both received very good education.. My suggestion is do your research , visit both, look at their academic records, see how the children are . But don't just rely on the school. Good education begins at home and the school is only as good as the parents when it comes to your child's education.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Private.

My son is in 4th grade at the same private school I went to. The quality of the education is better, the quality of the children is better - meaning they have parents that teach them morals and respect, and it is alot safer.

Yes, in high school, there are drugs and drinking everywhere, but there are no kids bringing knives or guns to school. There are no State/County cops stationed in the school because violence is such a problem.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 7:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Public. I believe Private schools are more censored and give children a more limited exposure to the world... Plus, the private schools around here tend to be more of a religious nature, which isn't something I want my children influenced by.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Public. Husband and I both went to public school and are happy with our experiences.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Public - and you could always supplement any areas that you feel are lacking.
    ihatetocook

Answer by ihatetocook at 7:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2010