Where can I find more detailed information on Native American deities?

Am in search for information on my heritage but was never given much information on that part of my heritage. Been searching the web but a lot of the information is vague. I am a pagan and find loads of information on that but the Native American part of me needs to know more. Can anyone give some suggestions?

Cheveyo1

Asked by Cheveyo1 at 7:26 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here's the thing, different Native American Nations had different beliefs and Deities. We tend to bulk all Native American's in together, but that's far FAR from factual. You would be best to decide which Nation you want to research, where is your heritage based? Then you can narrow your search and find more credible information.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Check the internet. You can find anything online.
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 7:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• The Heard museum in Phoenix is dedicated to Native Americans, there is a branch of the Smithsonian Museum in DC about Native American's. If you know what tribe you belong to, there must be an "office" someplace to call. Find one of the tribal elders and talk to them, they can help you even if your own family doesn't have the info.
    I love Native American stuff and as far as I know there is no "native" blood in me. Good luck with your search.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Here is a list of SOME of the Native American Deities, but the information tends to be rather broad, again, if you can limit your search to one Nation, you'll get better results...

http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/native_american-mythology.php?_gods-list

http://www.thesacredpaths.com/village/2007/08/24/native-american-deities/

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Thank you all for your input. All I have been told was I was part Cherokee and that information is very limited to what I have discovered. I am trying to uncover the tribe but it is not easy when you don't know much about your family's history period. I know that my great great grand mother was Cherokee but don't even know anything about her other than her image from a picture I saw as a child. The sad part is I don't even know her name. My family obviously never cared about their connection to the past as I do. I just want to complete who I am and understand why my connection to certain aspects of the Native American beliefs are so strong. Always have been. I just want to know where I come from so that I can finally complete who I am. Many Blessings to you
    Cheveyo1

Comment by Cheveyo1 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2010