in your opinion...

I have 3 kids under 5....we need a dog that is under 30lbs. what do you recommend?

hobbitswife04

Asked by hobbitswife04 at 7:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Pets

• May I ask why under 30 lbs? Check your local shelters, rescue groups.. A Cocker Spaniel might be what you're looking for... Please adopt, there are too many unwanted dogs out there.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• No dog at all, at least not one under 30lbs. Smaller dogs are snippy and might bite if your little ones don't know how to respect a dog and its personal space. Wait until all your kids are over five years old or get a larger dog. We have had our 70lb dog for three years, well before our daughter came around. We had time to train him and expose him to all sorts of situations. I wouldn't let my kid around a smaller dog for the dog's safety since my daughter is 16 months old and very grabby, but that's just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• I have had my Boston Terrier for thirteen years now, since I was eight years old. She is WONDERFUL with my two year old daughter. Has never bit her, has never snipped at her and just lets my daughter do whatever she wants to her. LOL. She has yelped at my daughter a few times, but only because my daughter pulled on her too hard or fell on her. They are loyal, loving dogs and I recommend them to anyone with children. They are kind of hyper when they are young, but they grow out of it (especially if you get them fixed).
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• BTW, we have 2 100lb German Shepherds, and a 50 lb Husky, all 3 are rescue dogs, and are great with our boys, and have been since they were really small (the boys I mean)..... I would trust our dogs with anyone. Maybe think about a bigger dog like the previous post said.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• German Shepards are very kid friendly and easy to train, since it sounds like you will be training everyone else as well....lol!
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 7:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• The company we rent from says 25lbs and 1 year (they allow for 30 to 35lbs).
    hobbitswife04

Comment by hobbitswife04 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I recommend you & your family go to your local shelter and find your new Best Friend! Good Luck-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 7:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would go to a shelter tell them your requirements, they might have a good family dog that is potty trained and maybe some other basic commands to make life easier. A good small to medium mutt with a good temperament make great family dogs and have less health concerns generally.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:38 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If you must get a dog (just remember that along with taking care of your three young children, you will also be taking care of this dog), I'd suggest going to the shelter. They can help find a dog that is within the range you are looking for, that would be good with children. Good luck
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 9:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• OK, I have worked at a veterinary office since I was 12, been in Vet school , and have numerous pets of my own! You are going to have a hard time finding a small dog that is good with little kids.. They are very over whelmed with kids easily. A bigger dog is going to be able to take the tumbling and the climbing that a kid si going to naturally do with a pet. You are better off if at all possible getting a bigger dog that can handle this. Boxers, Labs, and I know it sounds weird Rottweilers! Don't shut out the idea yet. I hav ehad Rotts since I got married over 10 years ago and I will tell you , I have never seena better dog with kids. they are protective, and loyal and they love to play with kids. Being a bigger dog too they can handle a lot of tugging and pulling. When treated right a Rott is the most loving dog and trust worthy breed. They make excellent house dogs, due mostly to them being couch potato's. :) Thoughts??
    FIREMOMMY1978

Answer by FIREMOMMY1978 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010