5mo old has ear infection & high fever please help!

I have a 5.5mo old baby boy & night before he last he woke w/a rectal temp of 103 so I gave him tylenol & a cool bath. Yesterday he cont to have high temps that I could not bring down 2/meds or cooling techniques so I took him to ER since we just moved & have no established doc. They gave him motrin & tylenol along w/shot of antibiotic brought his temp down to 99.5. He did okay last night & this morning still fever but didn't appear to high. NOW its 102.4 & I gave him bath & tylenol..HOW LONG will these high temps last? Should I take him back in? I don't know what to do. He stays alert, you can tell he is not himself but still kinda active & makes eye contact some smiles. He's not lethargic just high temps scare me:( advice plz

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 7:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if it were me(and the tylenol didnt work) i'd bring him back in,
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Did they give you a script for antibiotics? If he was given them at the ER, you probably should continue them at home. As for the tylenol, you can alternate tylenol and motrin to help keep the fever and pain down.
    AaronsMom79

Answer by AaronsMom79 at 7:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• If you have insurance, do they have a nurse on call? She may be able to advise about finding a doc/other than ER.
    That being said:
    I'd alternate the motrin and tylenol (store brands are fine). The antibiotic should take care of the ear. Most people's temp goes up late in the day, and especially with kids they seem fine during the day and the temp goes back up at night. Just to make us stay awake.

By all means if you are nervous go back to the ER. I completely understand. Hugs to you and your LO.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• children's Motrin!
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I'd go back
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 8:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I'd go back or call the Dr u had b4
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• So 2 to 3 days with a high temp. young child, and you just moved. I would go back to the ER give them the history, have them do some more checks. Sounds more then just your average cold/flu, good luck.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010