moving a long distance.

if we have a trailor, that's opened, would everything be ok with a tarp over it and tied down tightly? it's a 3 day move.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I would be worried about it at night, they way you have it sounds fine for a drive in good weather. Personally I would sleep better with a Uhual of some sort. It locks and is safe from all weather.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I agree with the previous poster. I would feel much better about a locked truck at night or any stop where it was going to be out of my sight.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Depends on the weather and where you'll be stopping. If you are roadside stopping or moteling it I would have to be sure someone was awake all the time. If you're stopping at friends or familys homes and have a safe place to secure it then my only worry would be the weather. We always use Penske instead of uhaul. They are generally cheaper and newer, nicer trucks.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:04 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• We just moved cross country.  We had the stuff that wasn't in the packing containers in the back of our pick-up in plastic bins and tied down along wtih all our camping gear and stuff.  It took us 5 days to drive from Missouri to Washington state and we left the stuff in the truck each night.  2 nights we stayed in motels, 1 night we camped and 2 nights we slept in the truck (we ran out of money).  We lucked out and it didn't rain once the whole trip.  We never had a tarp.  Most of the stuff that wasn't in the tubs was inconsiquential if it got wet.

I will say when my husband was a kid they were moving cross country and had all their wordly belongings in a trailer and someone stole it (although they were sure they knew who it was...personal disagreement).  They lost everything they owned including pictures and stuff.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• We just moved 1200 miles, most of our stuff was in a U-haul truck, but we did have some stuff on a trailer. I was worried at night at the motel about things being stolen, but it was okay. I do think it's risky
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I would never put things on an open trailer for a 3 day move.....a tarp isn't a guarantee that things won't get wet or dirty. I'd rent the enclosed u-haul truck.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2010