Does you landlord come over without notice?

My landlord does it constantly it drives me insane. Then left a message today saying my house wasn't clean enough and we needed to discuss it. First off she comes over when I'm not here and she knows I work 40-60 hours a week and I absolutely refuse to clean my daughter's room because that is how she earn her allowance. I know my house was a mess but it was just cluttered it's not like I had 6 weeks of dirty dishes in the sink! I am so annoyed!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I've never had a landlord do that. That can't be legal. I agree you should check the law. Also, when people say check the laws...I always wondered who you call to check the law...I mean, valid question right? Well I asked a friend that works for the Sheriff's department and she said to call the Non Emergency number at the Police department or in my case the Sheriff's department. Just FYI because I had to find out for myself and swore I would pass that on : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I own my own home, but I can tell you that landlords can do that...come with out notice.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• No, our land lady never comes over without notice. I definitely think that landlords should be respectful of privacy unless there is a really serious issue.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 10:09 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Um, where I am from thats against the law. Unless there is like a water leak or fire, I would check the laws where you live. Thats just not right.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I would check your lease agreement, because in most cases they are not supposed to come in without at least 24 hour notice.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I don't mind her coming w/o notice it's just comes into the house when I'm not here that's my biggest issue.
    Anonymous

• Check your lease I agree
    Anonymous

• As other say; check your lease and laws. Here it's totally legal to do what your landlord is doing....

We use to rent and it was in our leases all the time. I NEVER had a landlord do it......
    Anonymous

• Being an apartment manager or even landlord we still have rules and regulations that we have to follow. I'm almost positive that your landlord cannot just walk in any time he/she feels like it. There needs to be some valid reason for her to enter. EX. Fire, Water leak, Maint . Problems, sometimes if loud music and/or non-payment of rent. This would be the only time I would ever enter anyones apt. Keep in mind you did sign a lease agreement you need to look at the copy and see what the lease states. They might have it to where they can enter. If not you really need to get with her and set up some kind of guide lines. Its a privacy issue.
    One other thing you might want to remember is that in your lease it may state that if your house is not in what they consider clean conditions they can term the lease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Cont.

Try calling
    Apartment Ass.
    Better Business Bureau
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Oct. 24, 2008