Am I doing the right thing?

Today my neighbor was outside and overheard kids( my 7 yr old included) talking about fire and knowing better than that. She called me, I was in doing laundry, and told me about it. I ran outside. When I got outside all the kids were gone and I asked my son what happened, he said that someone lit a piece of paper on fire, I asked who he said a boys name, then changed it. After some convincing and tears, then finally telling him, we went to the boys house. I found out my boy was also involved in lighting the paper on fire. Mind you, this was inches away from the house, 3 feet away from a dry wood pile and 5 feet from gas can. After hearing my son was involved,I took him to the fire station where I talked to the Firemen, who put me in contact with the fire marshal, who will be coming to my home to talk to my son and maybe the other boy tomorrow. We also grounded our son for a month, and spanked him for lying.Any Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Good move with the fire station. That will make him think twice!
    bb510

Answer by bb510 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think you did fine. I personally don't spank, but if you do, I have no problems with it. Good one absolutely about the fire department!!!
    Anonymous

• The spanking i would have not done or punishing him for a whole month cuz i think the 1st time a child does something not right you should just talk to him or her and let them know the consequences and what can happen when they do something wrong...but other then that i agree with you...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 8:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You did just fine. You had your son face the consequences and that will help him in the long run.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:07 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You went a little overboard with the month-long grounding and the spanking.
    Anonymous

• You are a Awesome Mommy! That was a great idea to have the Fire Marshall talk to him; i am sure this will be a Life Long Lesson- Maybe, when you calm down you should rethink the Month punishment- That is alittle steep-LOL Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 8:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Spanking is not going overboard.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 8:17 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think you did every thing right i would have done the same
    Paigesmommy78

Answer by Paigesmommy78 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Id say a better punishment would be stacking firewood or having him explain the proper uses of fire. Ive never been a big fan of grounding because it takes away from social development (unless your grounding means no tv or video games... thats different)
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 8:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• You did great momma I am not a spanking momma either but if that is something you do then that's you. I would have grounded him for a month and i would also see if the fire Marshal has anything that your boy could do around the fire house for like 2 hours for the next 4-6 weekends. But that is just a thought. I would also call the parents of the other children and make sure that they are there for the fire Marshal tomorrow especially the other boy involved. What you did was the right thing to do and you are a great momma Don't forget that. :~)

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:41 PM on Oct. 2, 2010