Michiganmom, What is for dinner tomorrow? Is anyone else having a dinner for your family for $10 or under?

What does it include?
How much was it?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 8:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• LOL

Okay, we're having crock pot chicken & rice, homemade wheat dinner rolls, steamed green peas. Water to drink.

Crock pot chicken & rice: $2.40 for 3 lb. chicken (home grown, we spent an average of 80¢/lb. to feed them), 14¢ for 2 c. rice (from a 20 lb. bag that cost me $3.50), 1 can cream of chicken soup 69¢, 1 can cream of celery soup 69¢, 2 cans mushroom pieces $1.10 (55¢ each), and 1/2 pkg. dry onion soup mix 25¢. Total $5.27

Dinner rolls: $1.37 for 3 1/2 c. whole wheat bread flour, 7¢ for 1/4 c. sugar, 6¢ for 2 1/4 tsp. yeast, 6¢ for 1/2 c. milk, 8¢ for 1/4 c. margarine, 8¢ for 1 egg = $1.72 for 1 dozen rolls

Steamed peas: 16 oz. for $1.09

Total $8.08 for dinner to feed 7 people.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• $10 is my goal for each dinner. Tomorrow we are having chicken divan, with steamed white rice. I stock up on whole chickens when they are 79 cents a pound or less. Tuna Casserole is under, homemade chicken pot pie, chicken enchiladas, taco soup, minestrone soup with garlic cheesebread, navy bean soup (way cheap) really most soups are in there, and chili's. Hashbrown casserole with smoked sausage in it or ham, sloppy joes, .........
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Tuna salad sandwiches
    AshlyN.

Answer by AshlyN. at 8:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I can do lots of meals for 10 bucks or less. The enormous pot of chicken noodle soup I made today cost less than 6 and the cornbread was less than 2. I can make an very large pan of enchildas, spanish rice and beans for around $9. Spaghetti is the cheapest of all. If I made just sauce and noodles with a salad$5. If I add italian sauasge and bread total of $9
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I bought a chicken to roast, it's huge and it was on sale so it only cost $5.00! (usually $7.50). I got some brocolli bunches for about $2.00 and I have some potatoes in the pantry already.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Keep them coming. This is great!!!!
    tootoobusy

Comment by tootoobusy (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• we had leftovers tonight. DH had left over chili (which was the BEST one i have ever made) and i had left over Meat loaf...and i am hurting right now....that meat loaf gave me the WORSTE gas...lol! Glad i didn't have to cook tonight though!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• One way to save is to find a friend and each of you bring everything to cook a weeks worth of meals. It takes a full day to do it but when you are done you have it in the freezer. I have several books that are great if you use this concept. When I did this we were cooking for 9, 4 adults and 5 kids.
    Librarylady60

Answer by Librarylady60 at 7:46 AM on Oct. 3, 2010