Premature Baby and Whole Milk

When did you start your preemie on whole milk? At 12 months actual or 12 months adjusted? I have yet to ask his pediatrician. I'm just SO sick of having to pump at work and was thinking maybe since he's been using his digestive system longer that he could have it at 12 months actual? He was born at 24 weeks gestation. I don't want to stop nursing, I just want him to be able to drink it while I'm away, maybe even half breast milk, half cow's milk. I'm generally opposed to formula...when we were having to add it to his breast milk it made him really gassy and aside from that I don't want him to have to drink something that tastes (and smells) so horrible! Just looking for some input?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My sister was told 12 months adjusted for her preemie twins. They were 28 weeks gestation at birth.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My son was 28 weeks. I started him in between his actual and adjusted.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• it was a long time before my son's gi system could tolerate cow milk....like your baby formula gave him gas and he had to be on some (expensive! lol) hypoallergenic formula. but anyway, to answer your question, the dr. always told me adjusted age
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would do his adjusted age... I would start with whole milk when he's 16 months.
    You could try not pumping at work and see how it goes... I stopped pumping at work when my son was 9 months and only pumped before work and before bed... my body readjusted and made the same amount of milk, just different times.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• AmiJanell- what did your son eat while you were away? Formula?
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 4:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2010