How to tell your employer your pregnant (after a long seasonal break)?

I was working for a local preschool (before I became pregnant). Due to the nature of the work, summer lay-offs occur between june through late Septemberearly October while the kids are on break. Because of this, I was just asked to come back to resume my old position (after a four-month hiatus) and I am 6 months pregnant! I have the go-ahead by my midwife to work, just curious what you found a good way to tell your employer (other than walking around with a noticeable baby-bump) after a substantial lapse in communication. I didn't feel it was right to break the news via e-mail.

supersammyz

Asked by supersammyz at 8:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'd call them up and just tell them. You should probably mention it before you show up with your belly :) They'll need to have back up staff in mind in case you get put on bed rest and for when you go out on your maternity. Just say "I just wanted to let you know that I am 6 months pregnant. I am due around the end of the year." and leave it at that. If they push you about how much time off you'll want then give them some idea of how much time you are thinking of taking.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:50 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• They called you back is that correct? Either way call them and let them know that you are 6 months along and you are due on this date and you will be able tyo work till this date and you will be taking this much time off. They will mosy likly understanding about this and they have to hold your job poisition for X amount of time. My job had to hold my poisition for 12 weeks and 8 of those weeks were paid so you may not have paid leave but by law they have to hold your poisition. Make the call. The worst that can happens is they will be a little upset but they can't take your job from you it's not legal.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I only received an e-mail saying that I'm updated and available in the system (I am on-call) from HR after I updated my new address and phone number....I didn't feel it was the right platform to say, "Hey I'm available, and BTW I'm 6 months pregnant." Because I am a substitute, I might work for two days, two weeks, or have a whole month gap between different sites in the district - I have no real supervisor or boss so that's why my main contact person is the head of HR. I'll probably need to make this call Monday! :)
    supersammyz

Comment by supersammyz (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I would just be honest with whoever is in charge. Good luck
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 11:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2010