Help on home schooling. I'm thinking of doing home schooling for my son... But, I have no idea where to start looking can someone please help?

I want to home school my son. But, have no idea where to start or what to do. I start research on it and get confused because I'm not for sure what to look for or anything. If someone could shed some light on it, that would be great. Many thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First thing you will want to do is check out HSLDA and find out what is required by law in the state you live to do homeschooling legally. Here is a direct link to that: http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

If you can meet your state requirements the next thing to do is check out your local library and ask if they have any contact information for the local homeschool groups...call them...meet with them and pick their brains... LOL.

Also there are several homeschool groups here on cafemom (I admin one). Join a group and pick their brains..... Good luck!!! 

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 6:09 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Wxactly what SAHMinIL said. It's really overwhelming at first. But once you get passed the laws and figure out curriculum it's actually quite easy. Well, more or less depending on the child. lol

You can also find homeschool groups on yahoo groups and pretty much any website out there like here, myspace, livejournal, etc. I suggest joining as many as you can that are in your area and the style of homeschooling you have in mind. Ask as many questions as you can think of. Chances are the mom's you meet had the same questions when they were starting out so they'll know where you're comming from.

*hugs* and good luck! Homeschooling is wonderful and I miss it every day!
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 6:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Check meetup.com or yahoo groups to see if there are homeschoolers in your area.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Your school should be able to give you information on how. though a friend of mine did it on her own and she got every thing off the internet.
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 8:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• WELL I SUGGEST USING A CURRICULUM. IN STEAD OF TRYNG TO CREATE ALL THAT YOU WILL NEED FROM SCRATCH. BUT FRANKLY GIRL. ABEKA AND PACE ARE THE BEST ONES I KNOW OF! AND THEY REQUIRE 85% MASTERY OF ALL SUBJECTS. SO ATLEAST YOU KNOW YOUR DEAR CHILD IS LEARNING ATLEAST 85% OF THE MATERIAL. BETTER THAN 65% WHICH THE SCHOOLS REQUIRE!
    friends4me

Answer by friends4me at 11:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Since you aren't a certified teacher, and if research makes you overwhelmed then don't even try it. I don't advocate this education because the kids miss out on the soical aspects of school, but you need to know what you are required legally to do, submit, and teach in your state. Why do you want to homeschool? Is there a reason? Schools are safe and wonderful places full of laughs, and friends. Think hard. Are you ready for the responsiblity? Would you pull your child's tooth out at home, as a homeschool dentist? I think not. But, this is just my opinion and I know homeschooling is all the rage right now.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Have you had any luck with the answers you've gotten thus far? I too want to homeschool and it is kind of an overwhelming feeling, facing into the task. I want to attend a homeschool convention.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 3:09 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I have to say for the firs ttime, that I completley disagree with TeacherMom1. You absolutely don't need a certificate to proove you're capable of teaching your own children. You are their mother and you will do what you feel is best for them. Many people aren't hopping on the homeschool bandwagon because it's "all the rage". There's TONS of reasons for homeschooling.

Check out your local state's homeschool requirements either at the www.HSLDA.org website, or google it. That will give you the starting point. There are other websites that tell you the standards for each grade level so you are sure to keep your kids on task. Let me know if you need any links at all. I'd love to help you out!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• LOL, it's a bit comical that I didn't spell a few words right in my above post! I didn't bother looking up the entire time I wrote...(I'm rushing to finish the cake I'm baking!).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2008