where do I find more detail information on Native American Deities?

Thank you all for your input. All I have been told was I was part Cherokee and that information is very limited to what I have discovered. I am trying to uncover the tribe but it is not easy when you don't know much about your family's history period. I know that my great great grand mother was Cherokee but don't even know anything about her other than her image from a picture I saw as a child. The sad part is I don't even know her name. My family obviously never cared about their connection to the past as I do. I just want to complete who I am and understand why my connection to certain aspects of the Native American beliefs are so strong. Always have been. I just want to know where I come from so that I can finally complete who I am. Many Blessings to you

Cheveyo1

Asked by Cheveyo1 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• well, you could find out the number for some of their councils.  idk anything about cherokee, but i am nanicoke lenne lenape and they have a sort of counsil that deals with history and tradition.  if you could find the state, then they would be able to give you the number for the council (call the tourist board number). gl. it's not as hard as it seems

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• This is an excellent site with lots of info and many links also

http://www.indigenouspeople.net/cherokee.htm
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 9:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Ooo. That's tough especially with cherokee...I grew up in AK where there is still a (relatively) large 100% native population so it is easier to find this type of info. Since a majority of Native tradition is passed orally, the lower 48 tribes are harder to find traditional info on. All I could say is try a library? Many public libraries have access to libraries all over the country and can access some of the most obscure info.
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 9:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• google it
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• I don't mean to disappoint you, but nearly every person IRL who shared w/ me that they are "part" Native American say the tribe is Cherokee. My parents tried to get me to believe that I was part Cherokee, but since both sides of the family settled in Ohio immediately after unloading from the boat from Europe, it would most likely be the Shawnee tribe. They even showed me an old black & white family photo which included a women who appeared Native American, but interestingly enough, no one knows her name. I even have an aunt whose hobby is genealogy, and she's unable to trace our ancestry back to any tribe.

Don't get me wrong - it would be really awesome to have some Native American in me, but even a good friend of mine who is 50% Lakota rolls his eyes when obvious non-Native Americans claim they are part Native American. And actually, my opinion is strongly persuaded by his opinion.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Thank you all for your input. I do appreciate it.. And as for flatlanderjenn I am not disappointed by your statement at all. I know how that is because most of my life I've heard people say the same thing. That is one of the reasons I never bothered with finding out more back then. The thing is this I know that there is some Native American in me for I have visited one of my past lives. I don't know how you feel about that but it really doesn't matter. My bond is strong and I never knew why. I do now. I may not be Cherokee I am just going by what I was told and I can accept that but Native American I am and I just want to find out exactly where connection lies. Many Blessings to you all
    Cheveyo1

Comment by Cheveyo1 (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2010