What techniques did you use to get your kids to enjoy reading?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• We love doing Headsprout onine!
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 9:01 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• read them interesting books that hold their attention. borrow lots of books from the library about things they like, funny books are always a hit, my kids like books about nature with photographs too. i guess make books fun is what i'm trying to say. my kids think books are better than tv most days lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I think the biggest thing we've done is read ourselves. Our kids see both of us reading for pleasure so it just becomes the norm. Plus we read to them when they were little, read with them as they learned, and I always let them pick out their own library books - whatever they wanted, then we'd read them together. That way it's what they want to so, not what we're making them do.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Turn off the TV for an entire week.
    skitNbearsmom

Answer by skitNbearsmom at 1:32 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• All good ideas but my own experience has taught me that some kids will be readers and others will not despite anyone else's efforts to influence that. We read to my son regularly nearly from the time he was born; he enjoyed being read to and it was a wonderful bonding experience every evening before bed. Once he started reading in kindergarten, he would read to us but he lost interest by 1st grade. He did very well with homework but reading for pleasure was no longer something he did; he was too busy discovering the world in other ways (not TV or video games/we restricted TV and did not own video games until the teen years). With my daughter, I don't think I read to her more than a handful of times yet she is the one with her nose constantly in a book. She adores reading and is several grade levels ahead. I am a huge reader, always have been, but it's only DD that has followed in that regard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Oct. 3, 2010