Are catholics really Christians?

About 10 years ago, I left a fundamentalist, borderline-cult Christian church, and I haven't been to church ever since.

I'm thinking about trying catholicism. My fundamentalist background taught me that catholics are NOT Christians, that they worship statues of Mary, they believe the wafers and wine are the actual body and blood of Christ, etc.

Can you help me to truly understand what catholicism is all about...in your own words?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "There were NEVER the church in early christianity. It was not until Caeser came along about 400 years later that he implemented pagen practices with the former Christian practices..."

To continue, it is possible that you are thinking of Constantine I and the first council of Nicaea, but even then, you're information is incorrect.

OP, to answer your question, Catholics are most definitely Christian, and it was the FIRST organized church in Christianity (at least after some time when all Christians united under the RCC). We accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, just like any other Christian. I know another poster said that we don't, or not all of us do, but you know what? Some Protestants don't either, and some that do really shouldn't have because they aren't living in Christ. It's about individual responsibility and not about the religion as a whole.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2010

• OH LOLOL.....some of these answers are too funny. YES Catholics are Christian. Those who say they worship idols haven't a clue what they are talking about. Uh how many of you who say that about Catholics wear crosses? Catholics are the founders of Christianity.....Good Grief
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:30 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• "The Roman Catholic church was THE Church in the early days of Christianity"

Well, there were many different strains of Christianity at first, but it was the one that established dominance, lol. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I am Catholic and yes, we are Christians. Christianity has many branches, Catholic is one of them.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 9:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• as you can see it really depends on what one deems "Christian". but the majority of the world says they are Christians (including me). there are Catholics and Protestants but both are followers of Christ.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Christian -- believe that Jesus was the son of God and that He died and was risen... etc.

Yes, Catholic is Christian.... even if some OTHER christian denominations that came AFTER the catholic church try to somehow say that is not so.... too funny.
    Catholic and Orthodox Greek -- are the two branches of the org. dominating Christian CHURCH (there was a split when the roman empire fell and contact was lost for many, many years)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:51 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• As a former Catholic.. yes, I can say they are Christians... more so than some others..
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 11:52 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Here are just a few differences, from what I remember from my time as a Catholic and the time I've spent in various other churches (Pentecostal, Baptist, Methodist) :

Most Protestants believe that communion is symbolic, but Catholics do believe in transubstantiation, which is where the bread and wine literally are (or become) the body and blood of Christ.

While most Protestant faiths only recognize two (or five, sometimes) sacraments, Catholicism recognizes seven - Baptism, Eucharist, Reconciliation, Confirmation, Marriage, Holy Orders, Anointing of the Sick.

Many Protestant faiths won't baptize infants (Methodism being one that does), but Catholics do - and like Methodism will have a Confirmation when the child reaches an appropriate age.

Catholic priests vow to be celibate, while Protestant pastors/reverends may marry.

Here is a chart: http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/charts/catholic_protestant.htm :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:00 AM on Oct. 3, 2010

• Yes, Catholics are Christians, I always find it funny when people say they aren't. The Roman Catholic church was THE Church in the early days of Christianity - the one and only... And now people try to say they don't count... Anyways, there is really more information than can go in this little box, check out these sites.

http://www.aboutcatholics.com/

http://catholicism.about.com/

http://www.religioustolerance.org/rcc.htm

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• no, catholics are christians. their style is heavy in ritual, tradition, routine and they do use alot of imagery (but they don't worship statues.... clearly that is not a christian thing). i think most christian churches use the wine/juice and bread/wafers as symbols of christ's sacrifice for our sins. you have admitted that your former church was borderline cult.... so keep that in mind when thinking about the things they taught you lol. i myself am united methodist though. i know there are some catholic mommas on here that can help you too

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2010