Is this offensive in your eyes?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/39461130#39461130

^^ This video is about a halloween display that apparently people are getting offended by. It is a witch being hung and has been displayed for near 20 years and all of a sudden people are taking it the wrong way because the mask has turned a dark grayish color. Apparently it is being called racist.

My opinion, many different races have been hung. If you know your history then you know "witches" were hung and since they are a symbol of halloween it is merely a representation of how people were treated who were thought to be witches. The mask is clearly a witches face and clearly can be seen it is worn and discolored because of it. I think this is just craziness. Tell me what you think?

jroseh68

Asked by jroseh68 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Entertainment

• i always thought that witches were burned.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• They were hung as well.
    jroseh68

Comment by jroseh68 (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• http://www.thingsthatgoboo.com/monsters/witcheshistory.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_trials_in_Early_Modern_Europe

In England it was common to hang the person first and then burn the corpse, a practice adopted sometimes in other countries (in many cases the hanging was replaced by strangling). Drowning was sometimes used as a means of execution. England was also the only country in which the accused had the right to appeal the sentence.

The most common methods used to execute alleged witches were burning and hanging.
    jroseh68

Comment by jroseh68 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• i guess people would associate burning a witch more than hanging a witch, so i think it's wierd. racist? no. wierd? yes lol. people love to call anything relating to ropes or hanging racist because of it's association with lynching (which was in the '50s and '60s, so far beyond when other races were hung). but i think that people have nothing better to do than to look into stupid things waaay too hard just to find something they can claim is racist
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, it is offensive. Hanging - burning anyone is offensive - not racist - just wrong.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:27 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I dont think its racist. I dont know maybe a bit much for children? Idk. I think people need to calm down with this PC stuff. It is getting ridiculous. You cannot even have an honest discussion anymore and disagree people are always calling each other racist, or sexist, or a homophobe. Lighten up people. Sorry, just a mom hoping to teach her daughter, that a melting pot is good, and we should be tolerant and learn from each other even if we disagree, just be respectful.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 9:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Yes, I find it offensive... but only because it's a little too graphic for my tastes. The mask color has nothing to do with it. I personally don't feel like the mask is trying to represent black people in any way.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 9:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Nope, no offensive at all.
    Leigh519121

Answer by Leigh519121 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• It’s a Halloween display and that’s all its crazy that everything is offensive now days,
    MisticDawn6

Answer by MisticDawn6 at 10:45 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• ugh it sickens me.....it sickens me that so many fucked up idiots are so quick to pull the damn race card.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:43 AM on Oct. 3, 2010