Should there be a limmited amount of time someone can be on government assistance?

I spoke to a women yesterday at the grocery store (we were in a long line and struck up a conversation) who told me that she has been on FS (food stamps) for the last 10 years and she still hardly recieves any FS. She had 5 children (with her, I'm not sure if there were more at home or not) and told me that she only recieves 500 dollars a month.

As far as I know there is not a law (in Texas anyway) giving people a time limmit for governement assistance.

Should there be a time limmit on how long someone can be on government assistance? (with in reason-Time to go to school or get job training for a better job)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree. I think there should be some type of limit. 10 years just seemed like an awful long time to me. She could of had her PHD in something by now and be making a signicant income to support all of her children with not only their needs but their wants too.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I think there should be a limit as to how long you can receive it.  Perfectly able body people are on it all day long, but my little grandma that can barely pay rent, could never get it.  I think if you are older or honestly disabled you should be able to apply, the rest need to go get a job and use birth control.

I don't know about the laws in Ga., but I think you just have to keep reapplying after a few months so I'm sure you could live on it for awhile. My question is, why wouldn't you want to do better for yourself?

McCainPalin

Answer by McCainPalin at 10:35 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• OOPS! Excuse me girls but I spelled a few words incorrectly up there. I really not a moron. I'm just juggling my toddler and taking care of some insurance paper work while typing. lol
    Anonymous

• i'll use the same response i used earlier on this same question a few hours ago.. if she went through what the government requires to be on the aid, she qualifies. period. that's the law. if you don't like, write your congressman.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• It depends on the situation.
    mommyluvsphilip

Answer by mommyluvsphilip at 10:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Also, in TN, if you have children you ARE required to go through what is called "Families First" in order to receive assistance, you must work or attend school or job training a certain amount of hours per week to qualify for certain things. So, again, you don't know her circumstances.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:42 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• being a foster mother makes you a loser?
    KnoxvilleDoula

• Yes there should be a time limit that is specific to their situation. No one who can work should rely long-term on PA.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 10:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• That's tough to say. I don't think it would be bad to enforce a time limit, but then what happens if they fall on hard times again?

There's been a lot of welfare/assistance posts on here lately, and people telling others to "go get a job." I don't know where they are, but places around us are not hiring, and that includes McDonald's, BK, Subway, etc. As far as job training goes, that's a whole other ball of wax. The system seems to need reform and could probably stand to take on more employees to help lift the strain...but how do you pay for the job training program? Who teaches, what do you teach...KWIM?

Like PP'ers and others have said in different threads, we don't know who they're caring for or if they're shopping for someone else that may not be able to leave their home. The reality is we don't really know the full situation.
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 10:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• well, here's to hoping you never become disabled by a work accident, car accident, illness, or anything of the like. i'd hate to think you became a loser.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:44 PM on Oct. 23, 2008