When can infants/children start sleeping with regular blankets?

My eight-month old has been sleeping in wearable blankets since he was born, and I'm wondering when he can start using regular blankets.

Tentaculata

Asked by Tentaculata at 10:40 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm entirely baffled by this whole blanket thing. Well, not baffled exactly as I understand WHY they say not to let your baby sleep with a blanket. However...we live where it gets COLD in the winter...and our house doesn't have the best heat in the world, so one wearable blanket will NO WAY keep our daughter warm. I'm still trying to figure out how to solve the issue.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 10:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• My baby has slept with blankets since the day she came home. No problems here. :)
    I think the hospital is concerned b/c, the baby could suffocate. But as long as you have a few towels under the mattress sheet for breathing and to catch drool, spit-up and cover the towels over with a super tight sheet, you should be good to go. Just no fluffy animals or a lot of debris. I'm mean, if you are super concerned start with a "sheet-ing" type blanket and go from there. I wouldn't put a comforter or anything over them just yet.
    Hope that helps! My girl is 6months.
    McCainPalin

Answer by McCainPalin at 10:46 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• I guess it's frowned upon, but we lay a blanket over our son at night and he is 5 months old. We don't put above his armpits, and he likes to have his hands out on top anyway. We generally tuck the top part underneath his shoulder blades and lay the rest flat over his body. We keep a monitor with a motion sensor on it and we have also played peek-a-boo covering his face with a blanket, so he has to try and pull it off his face. He usually kicks enough to get it down, but occassionally uses his hands.(hopefully he would be able to get it down at night if he really needed to...we haven't had a prblrm yet (knock on wood)).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:47 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• By this time im sure its ok 2 let your baby sleep with a regualer blankie. They are strong enough 2 push it away form their face if needed.
    Klomas1988

Answer by Klomas1988 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• We started the day I brought lexi home. It was too cold not too
    MomieToLexilu

Answer by MomieToLexilu at 11:58 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Humm I've never heard that you shouldn't cover the babies at night when it 's cold. Of course I'm a grandma now and sometimes miss these new "announcements" ...lol
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• my son never even used whatever you are talking about never even heard of it he has always used a regular blanket.. i didnt do ne thing the doctors told me to do i have raised to many kids i know what i am doing
    playgurlbabyash

Answer by playgurlbabyash at 2:07 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• We've used blankets since the day our daughter was born.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:40 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I've used blankets since it started getting chilly. My daughter was only two months or so.
    Katapillar

Answer by Katapillar at 12:10 PM on Oct. 24, 2008