my 5 year old son is very picky i have been trying to get him to try stuff he will once in awhile but not like i want im worried his weight seems to be fine but im still worried cause hes so skinney can anyone give me advice on how to get him to eat more stuff? thanks wendy

he use to eat everything i made but when i had my daughter 3 yrs ago it stopped and he started being picky i thought is was a jealous thing but its been 3 yrs now

wendy232425

Asked by wendy232425 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is a very picky eater and it started way before her little sister was born. I just try new things like suggested above. Like at dinner time I made things I knew she wuold eat and then one thing she said she didn't like, and asked her to atleast take one bite, if she took a good bite and still didn't like it, then i would not offer it anymore, turns out so far she likes everything she has tried, carrots, broccoli, califlower ect, ect. We also give her vitamins everyday, just to make sure she is getting enough of everything she needs. Because we were worried too when she got real bad and only had a handful of not so healthy preffrences and refused anything else. I agree also with dips, my daughter loves eating veggies dipped in ranch..well anything dipped in ranch..lol! Good luck it is rough planning meals around a picky eater.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 3:04 PM on Oct. 24, 2008

• Try variety in snacks - raisins and nuts, carrot sticks and other veggies with dip, ants on a log (celery with peanut butter and raisins on top), cheese, ham, and crackers, pb crackers, granola bars

Try different meals - homemade sub sandwiches (you can add veggies to the sandwiches), make homemade pizzas, mixtures (there's this rice, hot dog, veggie mixture recipe on allrecipes my 5 year old loves just because it has hot dog pieces in it!)
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 11:30 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• i will try that thanks
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my son is the same way one thing i found that works is to let them join in on heloing you make it and try to make it a lil fum for them
    playgurlbabyash

Answer by playgurlbabyash at 2:03 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• i will try that thanks
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I doubt it was jealousy; both of mine developed picky eating habits around the age of 2. It is developmentally normal. I have chosen not to make a big issue of it. I am a pretty adventurous cook, and the kids are served a wide variety of cuisines at home. If they don't like it, they get a bowl of unsweetened cereal with milk for dinner (which they do like). At age 3, my daughter was allowed to simply declare her preference: dinner or cereal. My son, now 5, is pickier than he used to be; I think it is a control issue. Since he is older, we require him to try one bite of each thing on his plate, and then he may have cereal. Also, I offer dessert about every other evening, but only for people who eat the dinner I serve, not for those who choose cereal. My daughter (who is 8) now eats most of what I cook, and I believe her brother will come around eventually.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 10:21 AM on Oct. 24, 2008