Almost 4 and still not fully potty trained..

My son is almost 4 now, and spends alot of time with his father. He will go pee in the potty for me, but getting him to do the other is not possible. His father never seems to have time to talk to me about it and I'm beginning to wonder if his father is even trying to teach him. I'm worried because most kids I know are pretty much done potty training at three, anyone have any suggestions to at least make him try to use the bathroom when he has to go??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 PM on Oct. 23, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son was 4 when he potty trained himself does he know what they potty is for? if so then he will potty train himself when hes ready it takes time and patience but they know when they are ready
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• Do you keep him in pull-ups? In my opinion, pull-ups make potty training take longer. Believe me, they know they can pee/poop in those! I know it's a pain, but sometimes if you let them go in their pants, they are more motivated to use the potty. Also, have you tried any kind of reward system? My daughters had a sticker chart that they got to put a sticker on each time they went in the potty. After earning 5 stickers, they got to pick a prize (I had a basket with a bunch of Dollar Store stuff in it). It worked pretty well for us. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. Every kid is different. He'll eventually get the hang of it! Good luck!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:54 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my son will be 3 in november and has been fully potty traind since june our magic trick...peeing on trees! lol i know it sounds bad but we live in the country so its ok. he pees in the big people potty but will only poop in his tiny potty!? why i dont know but we were giving him lots of praise for staying clean and dry and stickers for flushing and washing hands give him a book and some privacy and he is a happy boy. his favorite book to read on the potty is "no more diaper for ducky!" try different things and eventually something will work, just dont try and force him good luck!
    3krazykids

Answer by 3krazykids at 11:01 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• i hid my daughters potty cause she would rather use that instead of the big potty ofcourse it was downstairs and the big potty is upstairs and im trying to teach her to hold it in more ofcourse it dont help
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 23, 2008

• my son is 2 i got him to use the potty by puttin stickers of his favortie cartoons (nemo, lightning mcqueen, and thomas the train) in his potty and then he did the rest he thought is was so cool going potty on his stickers and i let him help decorate his potty it took not even a week..
    playgurlbabyash

Answer by playgurlbabyash at 2:00 AM on Oct. 24, 2008

• I think Mishelley got it right. My son has been fully potty trained since 2 years old - now 4. Put him in big boy undies, encourage him, get him to "try" on a schedule that fits his bodys rhythm, and let him feel some natural consequences. I put a potty in his bedroom at night, to help him make it on those sudden night/morning urges for awhile...but still kept a waterproof fitted cover over his bed. They are smarter than we give them credit for. Talk with everyone that he stays with to form a team. Make sure to pack extra clothes and clean up items. I bet he will decide to go potty all the time after one or two times though. Make sure he doesn't have a medical problem if this continues on though. Good luck with everything, I can imagine your frustration at this point
    AndreaM2oo2

Answer by AndreaM2oo2 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 24, 2008