Is the 3 martini lunch making a comeback?

Return of the 3-martini lunch
From whiskey to wine, some partake in an early, guilt-free drink ... or three.
By Joel Stein, Business Week
Businesspeople used to know how to waste time. Instead of updating their Facebook wall and shopping on eBay, they ordered three martinis at lunch and headed back to the office four hours later.

"Nobody I know does that anymore," says Joel Babbit, 57, a longtime advertising writer who recently started Mother Nature Network, an environmental website. Babbitt's first day at advertising agency McCann Erickson in 1977 involved a lunch that began with his very first martini — and ended with his head in a toilet at 2 pm.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 10:18 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'd rather have a 3 martini lunch than what lunches are in today's reality... at least in my organization.... which is absolutely NADA!!! By the time 6 or 7 pm rolls around I wonder why my tummy hurts... could it be that I haven't even taken 3 minutes to pee since 7:00 am? Or maybe that I haven't eaten anything other than Altoids and mini candy bars since the day before?? Could it be the ulcer that I'm sure must be brewing in there somewhere???
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 10:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I wish!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• When I used to work, and take clients to lunch we would have a few drinks. Sometimes my boss and I would as well. I think that there are certain industries and situations where a "3 martini lunch" is perfectly acceptable. I don't know that it's ever been "in" or "out," I think it's just done sometimes.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:37 AM on Oct. 4, 2010

• Link to full article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39462233/ns/business-bloomberg_businessweek/
    tasches

Comment by tasches (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2010