Low Iron

So I just found out my daughter has low iron b/c she grows soooo fast. She's 2 1/2 and is already 3.5 feet tall! Well the lady told me to get her Flintstones with Iron which I'm getting tomorrow but I highly doubt she's going to want to eat those everyday. Anyone know what else I can do to get her Iron up?

Trishy7

Asked by Trishy7 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Actually, my son loves his iron enriched vitamins, to the point that he will beg for them
    birdiesmommy95

Answer by birdiesmommy95 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• The iron in vitamins isn't always all the types of iron the body needs.

Seasame, spinach, kale, liver, beans, molasses are all good sources of iron. She needs to have a piece of fresh citrus every day. Vitamin C really helps with iron absorption. Sime kids get plenty of iron in their diet but lack fresh raw fruit. A tangerine or half a red grapefruit a day will fix that.

You can also cook her meals in a cast iron skillet.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• lean red meats cooked of course tuna, all beans have iron and greens like collards and spinach. Make sure your toddler gets plenty of food and isent filling up on milk my 2 year old is tall for her age not sure the exact height but her peditriction said she was the height of average 3 year old and shes never had iron problem but he said its common in toddlers because they just want to drink milk and juice and not eat there food good luck!!
    aggheff08

Answer by aggheff08 at 10:33 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• Lean meats look online at foods with iron it will give u a list so u can feed your daughter more of those healthier meals ontop of the vitamin. :)
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 10:34 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• My DS had low iron @ his 2yr check up. Since he refuses to eat meat I make sure he eats iron fortified grains and veggies with citrus fruit. I also split his dairy milk with soy milk. Soy milk has iron in it. Bolthouse farm smoothis drinks are veggie and fruit purees packed with vit c and iron. Usually can find it with the Odawalla and Naked juices. I also bought the Enfamil liquid multivitamin with iron. I put a dropper full in a smoothie each day. Also if she likes yogurt Wallaby Organic yogurts have iron in it. GL
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• all of these ladies have great ideas, I have also heard that cream of wheat has a good amount of iron in it.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 2, 2010

• I used oatmeal to get my son's iron up. He ate it everyday for breakfast.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:15 AM on Oct. 3, 2010